Al Bones' Stoner Metal Band: GEORGIAN SKULL!!!

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
In a strange coincidence, I find that at least three of my old friends are releasing new albums around the same time this year. One of those is fellow Gibson SG enthusiast Alex Petrovich with his band: GEORGIAN SKULL!

For fans of DOWN, SABBATH, PANTERA, all things heavy, low, doomy, STONER METAL, etc...

3skull.jpg

Congrats Alex! I was impressed (and surprised!) to find a copy of their new album staring back at me from the metal bunk of a CD Plus store, here up North. Of course, I bought it!

Long story short, Alex and I were friends and bandmates back in my Windsor Ontario scene days. Being a big BLACK SABBATH, CROWBAR, DOWN, stoner metal fan myself, I even drummed for his original stoner metal band MISTER BONES one spring, before starting WOODS OF YPRES for the first time that summer (2002). WOODS' original bass player Aaron Palmer had been the previous "BONES" drummer before me, and he played on their first album. A local studio owner in the Windsor area once referred to the idea of Alex and I in the same band as "two bulls in a china shop". There did come a time when people thought we'd end up killing each other, or at the very least, Al would kill me. :heh: Since then, both Alex and I have gone our own ways and pursued our own paths. These days we laugh about how we're both still standing and doing our thing after so many others have come and gone from our lives and our bands throughout the years. In fact, every few months we brainstorm a little more about finally coming together to begin work an already 'named', long talked about collaboration between us. There aren't any concrete plans yet, it's just something we know we'll do when the time is right.

In the meantime, Alex told me earlier today that he'll be doing one last MISTER BONES record, next!

Look for that GEORGIAN SKULL album next time you're out buying music. + Please check out all of Alex's bands:

GEORGIAN SKULL: www.myspace.com/georgianskull
GYPSY CHIEF GOLIATH: www.myspace.com/gypsychiefgoliath
MISTER BONES: www.myspace.com/misterbones

Summer is coming, and you're going to need some drinking music...

DG - \w/ :kickass:

I actually stumbled upon this album on a doom/stoner blog and just noticed the band was from Canada, been trying to discover a lot of new doom and stoner bands and what not, since its a genre I'm not traditionally familiar with. I was pretty floored by this album, and went and checked out that they actually have members from Windsor, and one I believe right from ma good ole hometown of London! Fantastic bloody album, definitely gonna have to buy it, for sure recommended if you're into this kinda stuff! :kickass: Summer here we come!