Alan Rickman

johnnyboy

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
I like Rickman. But the way the film industry works, there is a depressing tendency for him to get type cast as comic Grand Guignol villains. As such, he is always equal to himself, (unforgettable as the Sheriff of Nottingham or the sleazy political spinmaster in Bob Roberts) but underused IMHO. He is capable of so many more dimensions, and is never so good as when he is cast against type.

My favorite performance by him though is as the revenant cellist in Anthony Minghella's Truly Madly Deeply, we have a delightfully nuanced comic portrayal, seductive enough
to get called back from the dead by the grief of his distraught widow, but also sufficiently annoying, flimsy and full of ticks, as to teach her to dispense with his memory and get on with her life.

So what do you guys think, do you think there's more to him than just a villain?

He makes a deliciously evil villain..while I've never seen him play anything else, I imagine he'd excel, as he's an excellent actor..

I like A Rickman too
In Die Hard, Robin Hood, Harry Potter as villains, but also as Rasputin, err , :D another kind of villain.
But He plays good non-villain roles too