Alas - Absolute Purity

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Alas - Absolute Purity
2001 - Martyr Music
By Russell Garwood

Alas have, over the last seven years, been through multiple line up changes. Eric Rutan’s (Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Ripping Corpse) band features former Therion and Dreams Of Sanity vocalist Martina Astner, Howard Davis of Die Krupps and Genitoturers fame and is completed by Scott Hornick who had played with Eric in the final incarnation of Ripping Corpse.

It is perhaps the amalgamation of styles brought by a Berkley-trained bassist, a death guitarist, a rap-influenced drummer and a vocalist who is into trip hop, classical and electronic music that makes Alas such an intriguing band. Written and produced by Eric, his mid-paced riffing is a prominent feature of the music without being too dominant. The vocals are nothing less than brilliant throughout, creating an amazing atmosphere, and the unusual drums and subtle bass - while taking a few listens to acclimatize to - help make this an original and convincing album.

Standout tracks include Absolute Purity, which wonderfully showcases the vocals, The Enchanted, Tragedies, Loss Of A Life and the final track Longing For Destiny. With lyrics such as “please forgive me for not being there/I would die to show you, how much I care/Your presence, so very missed” this album was clearly written for expression, perhaps a reason Absolute Purity is very different from what many would expect from Eric Rutan’s death metal background.

Extremely well written, out of the ordinary and hugely emotional, this album is well worth any money you have to spend trying to get a copy.

i downloaded the promo..o Absolute purity..the vocals were brilliant with excellent riffing and great atmosphere....
can't wait to get my hands on their cd
sadly in india this is'nt available
Chuckler

although the music is unbelievable and the execution was fantastic, the vocals left a little to be desired. yes, martina is a very talented singer, but she went off key quite a few times during the album. maybe on the next release, they should vary the vocals, not just classical from start to finish.