Album Cover Artists

kuier

Glam Overlorde of Spandex
Jan 24, 2006
Africa's Crotch
www.snakenet.com
o_O The Face of Metal: Album Cover Artists

The tradition of morbid and complex album covers associated with metal is a hallowed and unique one in the music world. Your band has faces in colorful ironic Warhol fashion to appease your delicate audience? Ha! give me a painting of a robot seated a ludicrous time machine going back to assassinate Jesus any day. Creative artwork that captivate us in that unforgettable record store moment is the domain of metal, untethered by “good taste” or censorship. In this column, I'll be unearthing several of the big names who have been behind the scenes over the years influencing the twisted face of metal music.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=66499

They mention H.R.Giger which is a plus in my book although many covers using his work were intended explicitly for the album.

I'm amazed they didn't mention Derek Riggs which undoubtedly created a mark with his Maiden covers, also Luis Royo whose artwork has been used by bands like Aska and Avalanch, or Brom (Destiny's End), Stanley Barlow (Armored Saint), Jacek Yerka (most Lana Lane albums) and many more.

Needs more Andreas Marschall. Agent Orange, Imaginations from the Other Side, and Cracked Brain for the classic bands, and Hate Eternal's King of All Kings for a more recent pick would have been much better than that Par Oloffson guy.

a few of my favorites are the Molly Hatchet catalog.i don't know if their Boris Vallejo or Frank Frezetta-not really Metal but more "hard" Southern Rock

a few of my favorites are the Molly Hatchet catalog.i don't know if their Boris Vallejo or Frank Frezetta-not really Metal but more "hard" Southern Rock

Well actually Boris did the cover of Ozzy "The Ultimate Sin" and Frazetta Malmsteen "The War To End All Wars", so there you have a couple of non-Southern rock examples :)

I like Yngwie's "Trilogy" cover art. It seems to be one of those covers you either hate or love. I don't know who did the artwork though. :(

Bryant

David Heffernan.

I'm amazed they didn't mention Derek Riggs which undoubtedly created a mark with his Maiden covers

i second this. i mean, i'm surprised that anyone can hear the words "metal album artist" and not think of riggs.

i was hoping my favorite artist Mattias Noren would get on there. does alot of prog/power stuff...Evergrey, Into Eternity, Kamelot, Cloudscape, Sabaton, Petrucci, Avian, Stratovarius, Icarus Witch- the list goes on.