Album distribution for smaller groups

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Some of the major benefits of major labels is to help finance the recording of albums, get your albums in stores, to advertise, and to help sponsor tours.

Many smaller bands seem to flock to labels to help them out, if for no other reason than distribution. However, recently I noticed a local Atlanta metal band (Enders Game), with no label, on Rhapsody Music Service. Before this, most small bands that I noticed were selling their albums off of places like myspace, their web site, and shows. Still physical transactions of their CD. But now bands can offer their album, basically for free, to listeners on services such as Rhapsody (I don't include ITunes, because with Itunes a person has to pay for song, rather than paying a monthly fee and gaining full access to a services library). I don't know how bands are paid for their music on services such as Rhapsody, but it makes me wonder about a few things concerning bands and their ability to get their music out there without need for the advertising force of labels.

I'd be more interested in how bands on these legal download services are paid. Rhapsody in particular, if you're not paying to download a specific band/album/song.

And you know what sucks? Bands (especially unsigned bands) that have CDs and don't offer their them by mail order. I mean, come on, how dumb is that?

Yep. Its something I've been trying to find out. I messaged Enders Game. Perhaps they'll reply back.

Jim LotFP said:
I'd be more interested in how bands on these legal download services are paid. Rhapsody in particular, if you're not paying to download a specific band/album/song.

And you know what sucks? Bands (especially unsigned bands) that have CDs and don't offer their them by mail order. I mean, come on, how dumb is that?

If I was signed I'm not sure if I'd offer by mailorder. Since you have to buy the CDs from the publisher and then sell them. Sure they'll probably make more that way on a sale, but I'm not sure if its worth it. But if I was unsigned... hell yes I'd be having a mail order.

I wonder if the internet hurts smaller groups as much as it helps.

Pure speculation, but independent bands pretty much don't have the distribution channels signed bands do... so when the average person who hears about something, maybe checks out a few songs through legit previews, and WANTS to buy the CD, can't find it in their normal places, do they just say "Fuck it" and download it without actually looking for it or buying from someplace (like the band) they aren't used to dealing with?

Jim LotFP said:

Pure speculation, but independent bands pretty much don't have the distribution channels signed bands do... so when the average person who hears about something, maybe checks out a few songs through legit previews, and WANTS to buy the CD, can't find it in their normal places, do they just say "Fuck it" and download it without actually looking for it or buying from someplace (like the band) they aren't used to dealing with?
yes,exactly.

Jim LotFP said:

Not to mention that it has allowed for the vast proliferation of pure mediocrities (and changed the culture of listener base in the process) - so it's harder for the truly excellent bands to stand out or develop a real following.