Album Review: Joey Tafolla - "Out of the Sun"

ryanofwar

New Metal Member
Feb 22, 2011
Album Review: Joey Tafolla - "Out of the Sun"
by Slaybag
http://steelonbone.blogspot.com
The Sound of Steel on Bone

While creeping around a basement vinyl shop, perusing through the Scorpions and Thin Lizzy sections, impressed by the discovery of Brand X records (Phil Collins is an AWESOME drummer...) and disheartened by the exclusion of Malmsteen, I came across something I've been meaning to get for a long time...Joey Tafolla's "Out of the Sun". I checked the record and it was in great condition. Then, and most importantly, I checked the price and it cost something like $2.00. So, needless to say, I walked out the shop "Out of the Sun" in hand.

Joey's first record for the Shrapnel label, "Out of the Sun", is one of the best instrumental shred albums money can buy. Part of what makes this album so great is its illustrious cast of characters...Tony MacAlpine on keyboards (he also had a good deal to do with melody composition and "producing" this effort), Wally Voss from Yngwie's Rising Force on bass (who sadly passed away at a young age, I believe from leukemia), and Reynold Carlson on drums (who was Joey Tafolla's partner in crime in metal legends Jag Panzer). And, offering a slew of guest solos, Paul Gilbert on guitar.

A great way to describe the feel and atmosphere of "Out of the Sun" is that it is the greatest video game soundtrack of all time that never was. The album's emphasis is on melody, melody, and melody. Joey (and no doubt MacAlpine) came up with some really great melodies that give each tune an IDENTITY (which is something I feel is lacking in contemporary times). Following closely behind "Out of the Sun"'s focus on catchy melody is its focus on relentless virtuosity (...which is to be expected, this is a Shrapnel release). Joey rips some great leads, but is often in danger of being eclipsed by the sweep-picking-demon-shadow of Paul Gilbert.

Both Joey and Paul play some leads of exceptional note on "Stalingrad". Solo Order: Joey, Paul, Joey, Paul:

You can tell Paul is definitely NOT holding back, and this just makes for a better album. I commend Joey for not having an ego. He lets everyone tear it up (even though, like I said, the sidemens' shredding excursions threaten to outshine the leader). Wally Voss is also all over the place, in a good may mind you, with lots of bass tapping solo features. Drummer Reynold Carlson turns in a surprisingly excellent performance (this album was my first exposure to his playing), and MacAlpine, of course, crushes on the keys like none other.

I've read some other reviews of Joey Tafolla's "Out of the Sun" where he is critiqued because he "hasn't found his voice yet" and for "...patterning himself after mentor Tony MacAlpine (who does exactly the same thing, but better, on his albums), Tafolla copies everything right down to the melodramatic song titles". True...yes. This statement is undeniable, but it doesn't mean the music suffers. And, which I think is important to note, MacAlpine is given credit for his compositional contributions. This is a great shred album, only slightly below the lofty musical heights attained on MacAlpine's "Maximum Security" and Becker's "Perpetual Burn". Joey Tafolla's "Out of the Sun" is a must have for fans of the genre. If you can find this one for two sawbucks in the local record shop, consider yourself lucky.

Rock on Joey, Tony, Wally, Reynold and Paul.

Here's the first track off the album, "Eternity's End":

"Out of the Sun" (Shrapnel Records, 1987)
Track listing:

1. Eternity's End
2. Out of the Sun
3. Zero Hour
4. The Summon
5. Stalingrad
6. Truce With Kings
7. Fire in the Lake
8. Samurai
9. Nine Tomorrows

Credits:

* Joey Tafolla - guitar
* Tony MacAlpine: keyboards, production, additional melodies
* Wally Voss - bass
* Reynold "Butch" Carlson - drums
* Paul Gilbert - additional guitar solos on tracks 3, 5, 6, 9

If you're in an underground band and would like to be featured in The Sound of Steel on Bone (album/demo review, interview, article, etc.), please feel free to send us a streaming version of your music:

ryansdrumstudio [at] gmail [dot] com
http://steelonbone.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator: