Albums an aging art form

eighteeschick

Jul 12, 2005
Jersey Baby
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14011748/?GT1=8307

Its an interesting read. I can't see the concept of the album disappearing forever but there are plenty of bands that could probably benefit from just putting out a few really awesome songs as opposed to trying to create an entire record and falling short on a vast majority of their music. Of course, touring in support of a song every few months would be pretty wierd, not to mention short.

The reason that people say that the concept of the album is dissapearing is because alot of people listen to alot of radio/mtv bands that are more concerned with putty out an ultra catchy single with no substance than a good album.

In this day and age where it is common practice to just go download a few songs by a band instead of buying the album, I can see why the concept of an complete beggining to end album is becoming less popular.

It's a shame really:erk:

In era of single-song downloads, artists find it hard to get whole story out
maybe this would've been true some years ago... but I don't really know many people who use things like Limewire anymore, including myself... I basically download whole albums at a time via bit torrent... throw things I like onto my "to buy" list, delete the things I don't like

maybe it's just me

eighteeschick I can't see the concept of the album disappearing forever but there are plenty of bands that could probably benefit from just putting out a few really awesome songs as opposed to trying to create an entire record and falling short on a vast majority of their music. [/QUOTE said:
IMO if a band can't come up with 9 or 10 decent songs, they have no business having a recording contract. Of course what is a "decent song" is a matter of opinion anyway, so I'll just sit here and shut up now!:lol:

The music industry only has themselves to blame for the mess they're in... and, IMHO, it's because they kept jacking up the prices for material that had, at most, one good song on the CDs. Real bands were left in the cold while suits who wouldn't know music if they looked it up on Wikipedia were looking for acts they thought would sell ten million CDs out of the box.

Give me the old days when bands like Kiss, Rush and AC/DC put out an album every year and they were good solid listens from start to finish.

Maybe - just maybe - the album wouldn't be a dying art form if CDs were actually priced fairly and labels actually gave a damn about real bands (including Anthrax). I still think that Sanctuary, in their CMC International days, was a great haven for such bands, even if their sales didn't equal the glory days.

it's hard to remember the last album I've purchased/listened to that had a "bad" song on it, frankly

metal is generally full of horrible bands/albums/songs unfortunately... they're mostly all too focused on being "metal" and "hard", and that's also all most of them have ever listened to... you can't get anything interesting out of that combination of traits, aka 99% of the metal scene... I guess that would explain why I hardly listen to metal anymore at all

dailyvault said:
..Give me the old days when bands like Kiss, Rush and AC/DC put out an album every year and they were good solid listens from start to finish...
Couldn't agree more!:kickass:

Check this out - the other day I was ordering CD's online and actually ordered a GBH album not disc and it comes in the mail and I was like damn I was drunk. But no worries I have stereo that plays Lp's :headbang:

Hell sometimes I get drunk and listen to Physical Graffiti on vinyl. :kickass:

Hell sometimes I get drunk and listen to Physical Graffiti on vinyl.

cool have a beer for me and put on "the rover" :kickass:

then have another one and put on "trampled under foot" :kickass:

shit just get loaded and listen to the whole damn thing:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

karrokid said:
cool have a beer for me and put on "the rover" :kickass:

then have another one and put on "trampled under foot" :kickass:

shit just get loaded and listen to the whole damn thing:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:
Yep, then listen to it again and again and again....:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I always was partial to "In My Time Of Dying" - Bonzo laid down a drum beat that amazed and confounded me as an amateur drummer. He was truly one of the best.

House of Seance said:
metal is generally full of horrible bands/albums/songs unfortunately... they're mostly all too focused on being "metal" and "hard", and that's also all most of them have ever listened to... you can't get anything interesting out of that combination of traits, aka 99% of the metal scene... I guess that would explain why I hardly listen to metal anymore at all
You've hit the nail on the fuckin' head!
Sure, I listen to a lot of metal, but damn it gets monotonous; that's why I listen to all kinds of stuff.

Lately I've been trying to find "vintage" early 90s death metal, like Obituary and Morbid Angel (I'm a late bloomer), as those records have been remastered and re-issued, and the originals sound FUCKING BETTER.
I've also spent 12 bucks on a vintage 1988 pressing of South of Heaven, complete with water stains and metalhead smoker stink, as it blows away the piece of shit remaster. Best-sounding metal CD I have.

i can listen from anything to creedence clear water to david allan,there more to music than metal thats for sure,and listening to diff stuff keeps metal fresh when i go back to it

mrthrax said:
i can listen from anything to creedence clear water to david allan,there more to music than metal thats for sure,and listening to diff stuff keeps metal fresh when i go back to it
Good man, variety rules!:headbang: :kickass: