Albums like Lunar Strain by In Flames

OrchidForest

Mar 7, 2009
I was wondering if any of you could give me a good recommendation on albums like the early In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. I am honestly not into the new shit that claims to be Melodic Death, especially with all these cheesy keyboards. No offense to players of the keyboard.

I just love that old school melodic guitar with awesome melodies. and suggestions? Rock on

it's not much like 'Lunar Strain', more like Kalmah (another band you should like) but the latest Immortal Souls is very impressive, and is not filled with keys...don't think it has keys at all actually.

Just about every song on the album is quite good.

In terms of stuff that is more like the first In Flames, maybe some of the old At The Gates (first two albums)? Those have a similar production and use of light/shade, etc, and most everyone here makes the freek 0ut over them so why not.

Last edited by a moderator:
check out Eucharist, A Velvet creation and Embracing, I Bear the Burden of time-two swedish melodeath bands contemporary to In flames and DT-not as good though

I'm right with you on modern melodic death metal. Your best bet may lie in death metal bands that utilize melody without melodic death metal pretensions. After all, thats what In flames and DT were back then.

Album: Ebony Tears - Tortura Insomniae
What I've heard off this album sounds more like The Jester Race, but still.
I don't have the album, though, so I won't swear to anything.

Last edited by a moderator: