Alessio Garavello returns to power metal!

Looking forward to hearing this album; as I said in the other thread I'm waiting for my copy to arrive. Really hope it doesn't disappoint, I spent more on it (thanks shipping) than most albums...

I've just woken up and feel like writing this with my coffee, pardon any nonsensical rambling:

Well, here's the thing. This absolutely reeks of late 90s/early 00s Avantasia and Edguy. You can tell where the inspiration comes from, and that's not a bad thing. I don't hear much power metal in this vein anymore. It also screams of possible Fairyland influence, because there are quite a few moments on here that sound like an homage to their third album Score To A New Beginning, from the sound of the orchestration to the incredibly high pitched wailing, which is actually really good. As far as the trademark high pitched screams go, this album nails it. I believe Marius Danielsen does some of that himself along with much of the guitar and bass work so he's quite a talented fellow. Very gifted.

But my biggest problems lie in the lyrics, and much of the vocal melodies. The lyrics are horrifically trite. Golden promised lands, raise your shields, fight for victory and honor and glory, the Prophecy of the Warrior King and the High Wizard at Zal'throlm-Gahr et cetera - yaaaaawn. This staleness is compounded by many of the verses just having weak melodies and the singers sometimes sounding pitchy or tone deaf. Ripper Owens should not be singing that low, and then his characteristic wails are thrown in just because he's on the song, they don't belong there at all. Musically I just don't think it makes sense. A lot of the melodies don't resolve strongly and that really aggravates me in power metal of this style - it demands as strong a cadence as possible even in verses. I'm listening to Stratovarius's 'Giants' (the bonus track on Eternal) and it's a perfect example of classic power metal and I think a lot of the songs would've benefited from a little more work on vocal melodies.

There are lots of guests but I'm disapointed that in that whole 14 minute epic Alessio only had 2 quick lines by himself, and the rest of the time he's in the choirs so you can't identify him. I do love the song with Dragonland's singer on it. It is suited to his voice, his inflections, and it sounds 100% Dragonland. Edu Falaschi kind of brings it down a bit, though, at least I think that's him...

Some songs are just too cheesy for me to bother with. 'Chamber of Wisdom' starts off with a lot of cringe-inducing hammed up vocals. 'Mirror of Truth' has an incredibly awkward transition to the chorus, very jarring, and it reminds me so badly of Iron Maiden's 'The Wicker Man' it's too close for comfort. The singer sounds like Bruce Dickinson, too...

So many good things about this album and I would be in love with it if it weren't for a fatal combination of awful lyrics, cornball singing, and singers sometimes sounding off key or shoehorning in screams.

For me comparisons with early Avantasia and Score to a New Beginning are far too generous for this project. They show ingenuity, intricate orchestration and well-thought out and realised composition whilst this project is generic down to its very core. And I actually don't really mind generic fantasy lyrics. Lyrics take a backseat for me in music anyway but even if they were my be-all and end-all, I don't come into a power metal project like this expecting literature and philosophy. I know from the title what to expect so I don't afford much criticism to the generic fantasy themes.

This project literally took all my favorite singers and guitarists and churned out something tolerable but instantly forgettable. Much like what Timo Tolkki has been doing with Avalon. I'd love it if each guest got a chance to shine, especially our Alessio. There are a tonne of awkward musical moments in this that's for sure, off-key at times too. Jarring is the word. Average but so much lost potential.

I think the whole "internet project" thing has gone way too far now. That's not a criticism of this record particularly, more a general comment. Technology is a wonderful thing but I just can't get away from the fact that there is nothing quite like getting together in the rehearsal room, working as a band in real time and becoming a real unit as a consequence of time spent together as people and musicians.

I know I'm old fashioned in that regard.......but hey......guilty as charged lol!

The metal opera has been done to death now I reckon and has lost the magic that the early exponents had harnessed.

Actually, I think I agree with Steve as well. These internet group projects/"metal operas" are everywhere. Unfortunately I took a chance on Legend of Valley Doom and can't say I've wanted to revisit it in the past few weeks. I wish it was so much better.

I have not experienced that magical sensation of being in a room actually working on an album with people but I can't imagine the impersonal approach of doing it over the Internet, even with stars, being more powerful than that. There is a chemistry to bands when they play all together, self-contained, writing music on the fly or just having a good time...

I do think Avantasia is worth paying attention to still, despite having a rocky track record (with me) since The Scarecrow. I think Ghostlights will be a massive improvement on Mystery of Time just based on what I've heard. I hope Tobias keeps that up. Honestly, Avantasia seems to be the real reason behind the 'metal opera' shtick so many people are playing at these days. God knows Timo Tolkki's hasn't!

Indeed Michael, there's nothing quite like the excitement of being in a room with a bunch of musicians who are also your best mates when someone plays that killer riff or idea and the whole band jumps on it and it starts the journey to becoming a song. Even travelling to rehearsals and that sense of anticipation of what magic might occur :)

Rock and Roll has nothing to do with computers that's for sure.....which almost takes me to the discussion in another thread about the whole playing "live" thing lol!

Very envious of that experience. I hope one day the people around these parts wise up to the genius of keyboards in metal and need my help one day ;)