Alestorm - The Power of Ale

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
[imgleft]http://russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/Alestorm.jpg[/imgleft]Alestorm - The Power of Ale
by Ryan Starr

Interviewing Alestorm has been one of the more entertaining interviews I've done. Before the doors even opened they were working hard on their buzz and have a good time. So without further ado, come on the bus with Alestorm. They have cake!

Chris – Keyboards
Dani – Guitar
Gareth - Bass

Obvious questions first, how's the tour going

Chris: Amaaaaaaaazing

Gareth:
Awesome

Chris: Totally bodacious and gnarly

Gareth: Dude

Chris:
We’ve had like two beers dude; we’re wasted because its spring break

Alestorm1.jpg

Chris

Any stand out crowds yet?

All: Hollywood

Dani: San Francisco

Chris:
Seattle was crackin' as well. But Hollywood was amazing. There was a stage diving bear, where else do you get stage diving bears but Hollywood

Gareth: I can’t believe that’s the only thing we’ve gotten from this tour to kind of be like “how was Hollywood, oh it was great, we had a stage diving bear!” It will follow us to our graves

Speaking of San Francisco, my friend wants to apologize for being all drunk, pinching your cheeks and being like “aw, you’re so adorable”.

Dani: I don’t remember that

Chris:
Were they male or female?

She is female

Chris: Then I don’t complain

Gareth: San Francisco… that was the really small place where everyone was jammed in.

Dani: Yeah, where it was really insanely hot

Tours like this have only been coming since Paganfest last year; this is really the second one. Do you think tours like this have been helping the scene?

Chris: Definitely

Dani: A lot of bands are building off these tours and getting a lot of chances to go where they couldn’t go before

Do you think the scene is growing or was it already big?

Gareth: When you’re in America all I hear is people saying “bands like you never play in America”. So basically between this and Paganfest and other things, it’s like the first wave. I think its brilliant for America

Chris: I’d rather be here than fucking Europe

So the pirate thing is kind of new, but also kind of old. Ever thought of doing an all pirate tour with Running Wild?

All: NO!

Gareth: Not a chance

Chris: Not a fucking chance in hell. We’ve had enough bad experiences with fat old German men and their fat old German heavy metal bands. We toured with Grave Digger, they’re fat old German boring men who don’t drink and can’t breathe and have to have oxygen mask, and they have limp handshakes! Yeah, I want to get that all in. They’re all assholes except for Thilo Hermann, he was cool, but they kicked him out

Gareth:
He was so cool they kicked him out of Grave Digger. That’s how much dicks they are

Chris: They can’t hold their drink

Captain Morgan’s Revenge came out recently, how’s the reaction been so far?

Chris:
You could say it’s good, just a bit

Dani:
Ever so slightly. They’ve let us do another album, so I think we’re on our way

What can we expect on the new album?

Dani:
More of the same

Chris: But it will sound less cheap, the first time I think it sounds cheap

Dani: We’ve listened to the new album and the old album and the old album sounds… cheap!

Chris:
It sounds like keyboards, but there's no keyboards on the new album, it's all orchestras and brass

Oh like the same kind of thing Turisas does

Chris: They use keyboards, they don’t use orchestras

I thought they used a computer program

Chris: Yeah, a computer program, we used a real orchestra, real things

Alestorm2.jpg

Dani

Do you guys do any research…

Dani: I can cut you right there

Chris: It’s the pirate thing… we don’t give a shit about pirates

Dani: We kind of just, *sing* “lai di dai di dai, pirates, lai di dai di dai” *sing*

Chris: It’s like all the bands that sing about Vikings, they don’t research it. *sing* "Vikings duh duh duh, killing all the Christians!" *sing*. It’s like that but we’re replacing Christians with treasure. It’s all cheesy tweedy fun bullshit

So then you wouldn’t know if Scotland has a history of piracy

Chris: I know captain Kidd came from Scotland, that’s all I know

Any research into wenches and mead? Any of that? More of the mead?

Dani:
Not any research needed

Chris: It’s about drinking beer and fucking girls. Alcohol and wee lassies

Dani: That’s Splen

A lot of bands have come through recent from Europe, and they all complain about the lack of good beer. Have you had the same problem?

Chris:
In America? Beer’s good!

Dani: We’ve had a lot of local breweries

Chris: Even like the reasonably big things like Yuengling and Shiner, it’s just fantastic

Dani: We’ve had some shit beers, but on the whole it’s been pretty good

Gareth:
I thought by now, half way through the tour, we’d be bored of Bud Light, Coors, and Miller, but I don’t actually think we’ve drank that much of any of it

Dani: We drank Miller in Orlando
Chris: One night we had Miller, every other night we’ve had something local

Gareth:
Good decent sensible beer, which we’ve actually enjoyed

Chris:
So everything everyone says about America is a big fucking lie. It’s all said by people who have never been there in their life and they’re stupid retards

Gareth: Yup, America’s awesome

Dani:
And that’s not fuckin’ 2 percent shite either

Aelstorm3.jpg

Ian (drums)

Obviously today is St. Patrick’s Day. Here in America it’s just a reason to get drunk, what do you do in Scotland?

Dani: Drunk!

Chris:
It’s not that big a thing in Scotland

Dani: When we’re back its like “oh it’s a saint’s day, yeah ok”

Chris: Occasionally in university towns they have stuff

Gareth: It’s an excuse to get drunk

Chris: Yeah, but it’s not to the same extent as it is here

Gareth: And where I’m from it’s an excuse to exploit tourists for money. Its St. Patrick’s Day, would you like to buy a leprechaun? This is my first time in America on St. Patrick’s Day and it’s awesome

Dani: He woke up and went straight on to drinking

Gareth:
Yup, I just thought I’m going to a national stereotype today. I’m going to walk around and drink alcohol and I haven’t had a soft drink since I woke up

I would advertise it you want more beer, people will buy you drinks

Gareth: We’ve plenty back stage; they even bought us Guinness which was really nice

What do you think about this whole popular trend with pirates, the Disney movies… do you think it’s cheesy?

Chris: Yeah, I think it’s cheesy but we don’t give a shit

Dani:
As I said, there’s nothing we take ourselves seriously for. People come to us and ask if we research, and no. we just drink a lot and occasionally turn up for shows

That’s all I had, any last words? Anything we should look forward to during the show? New songs?

Dani:
There’s a new song, yeah

Gareth: I say you should look forward to Tyr’s show tonight, I heard there was going to be some drunken naked people on stage. Just a rumor I managed to get. And because it’s St. Patrick’s Day there might be some drunken Irish guy on stage naked

Good to know

Gareth:
Watch our show too

Thanks!

Alestorm4.jpg

New Alestorm album, due for release in May

Official Alestorm Website
Official Alestorm Myspace
Official Napalm Records Website

Alestorm are the best band to come out of England since Bal-Sagoth.
I put on Captain Morgans Revnge and a big smile comes to me every time.
This band have changed my life, love them and cant wait for Black Sails Over Midnight.

cool, when i first heard about pirate metal i laughed...a lot. but i listened to alestorm and thought they were actually pretty good. i'm definitely going to give their new album a listen.