ALICE IN CHAINS Vocalist WILLIAM DUVALL Claims He Was Racially Profiled By Police

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
**UPDATE**: ALICE IN CHAINS' publicist has clarified to BLABBERMOUTH.NET that the incident described in Duvall's tweets took place "about five years ago. [William] was sharing a story/participating in the ongoing #AliveWhileBlack conversation that's taking place following Ferguson and the grand jury decision in the Eric Garner case. The experience he describes did not happen this week." The original article follows below. ALICE IN CHAINS frontman William DuVall claims he was he was detained by police outside his own home, suggesting that race played a part in the incident. DuVall, who is African-American, tweeted on Thursday (December 4) that he was arriving at his residence in California when he was told by cops that he didn't live at that address. He wrote: "Detained pulling into own garage in W. Hollywood. Told 'You don't live here.' License SHOWS MY ADDRESS. Still held 30 mins. #AliveWhileBlack" In the comments section to his tweet, DuVall added, "That and much more happened to me. And I'm better off than most." The musician, who replaced the late Layne Staley in ALICE IN CHAINS, has not commented further on the situation as of this writing. In an October 2013 interview with Noisey, ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell discussed racist comments the band had received about the band having a black singer. "We've had a handful of people, a handful of unfortunate individuals who are friends of the band, who've made comments in that area," he said. "But we're a multiracial band, you know? [Mike] Inez [bass] is Filipino-American, William is African-American, Sean [Kinney, drums] and I are like American mutts. We're not exempt from the world we live in, and those are some things that William and Mike have probably dealt with more than Sean and I." DuVall, who broke out on the Atlanta scene in the '80s with his band hardcore band called NEON CHRIST, left town soon after that band split up in 1986. He later told the Creative Loafing web site "Things got pretty heavy for NEON CHRIST and I bolted," Although he didn't witness it firsthand, he was told that a group of racist skinheads had set up a gun range in a warehouse near DuVall's old punk haunt the Metroplex. For target practice they were using pictures of his face. ALICE IN CHAINS' fifth studio album, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", was released in May 2013. The CD was ALICE IN CHAINS' second effort with DuVall on vocals.
Detained pulling into own garage in W. Hollywood. Told "You don't live here." License SHOWS MY ADDRESS. Still held 30 mins. #AliveWhileBlack
— William DuVall (@WilliamDuvall) December 4, 2014

More...