Aliens Stole My Kidney (metalcore/real cymbals/glitches/br00tz)

Backe

Space Cowboy
Mar 7, 2010
Borlänge, Sweden
Hey everyone. Recorded a band called Aliens Stole My Kidney almost a month ago and finally got the time to mix them today. This is the intro for their EP, and I think it's the best mix I've ever done in the realm of metal, considering the budget and gear. They asked me for a Sturgis-ish sound, but I went for a more 'scandinavian' hybrid vibe. Need opinions on this. This is just the EP intro, but is this mix worthy the rest of the EP you think? Maybe i'll just crank up the final limiter some moar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I overall really dig the mix, only thing that comes to mind on first listen is the snare. The verb makes it kinda lose it's punch in my opinion.

I'd turn up the beginning a bit more and yeah a little less verb would definitely help give some more punch.

this snare sounds smoother than a babys bottom, which i kinda dig since it sorta flows with the song. the huge verb is what it is, but yeah, i went with a really washy plate verb along with a tighter low-mid dense glue verb (which i used as a send on every single track/group) so that's 3 of 'em running. so i'm thinking of dropping or changing the definite snare verb which is the plate one, then it's GO GCLIP GO! or maybe raising the attack on my 1176 for more transient and something LA-2A ish to limit it with. cause i fucking hate gclip. why? because it always works, haha. it takes away the problematic art (FUN PART) of it all.

this snare sounds smoother than a babys bottom, which i kinda dig since it sorta flows with the song. the huge verb is what it is, but yeah, i went with a really washy plate verb along with a tighter low-mid dense glue verb (which i used as a send on every single track/group) so that's 3 of 'em running. so i'm thinking of dropping or changing the definite snare verb which is the plate one, then it's GO GCLIP GO! or maybe raising the attack on my 1176 for more transient and something LA-2A ish to limit it with. cause i fucking hate gclip. why? because it always works, haha. it takes away the problematic art (FUN PART) of it all.

Nice idea behind the verby snare, but I think it doesn't work very well for that song, haha. Keen for an updated mix.

Edit: These are some really sick giltches btw. How did you do them? DBlue Glitch on the 2nd bus or something like that or by hand?