all hail the power of the internet

Sep 22, 2010
Greetings, I've been lurking this board for years, just haven't had anything to post till now.

I do a lot of studio stuff, but also a bunch of live gigs too. A band decided to not pay me for a gig (this was a 10 hour day with load-in, setting up a pa, running the show, tearing all the gear down, plus about 170 miles driving out to the gig and back). I emailed the guy and told him that if I wasn't paid in full by Monday, that I'd go public.

He didn't pay, so on Monday I posted the whole deal on our local craigslist and over the past couple days it has turned in to the proverbial shit storm.

I've dealt with a lot of flakey musicians in the past, usually I'd let it slide, but this one time I decided to speak up about it.

Moral of the story, if someone has screwed you, chances are they've screwed someone else. There is definitely strength in numbers. While you may not get paid, douchebags like that will have a lot of trouble finding more work.

If you're interested, perhaps you share my sense of humor, I've been posting all of the craigslist correspondence on a blog. You can PM with an email address if you want to read it.

Just wanted to thank you for reaffirming my desire to never do live sound again in my life.

Also, just a heads up from reading the blog: 'Irregardless' is a double negative, and not commonly accepted to be good English. It's an odd blend of the words 'irrespective' and 'regardless', which individually would make sense in that context, but mashed together just cancel each other out.

Sounds like you were given shit gear to work with and the band tried to place the blame on you instead of the gear. Fuck that. You can't "vote" not to pay someone for work that has already been done. Take these fuckers to court, you'll win. You have it in writing that they still owe you money and that they "voted" not to pay you.

I changed it to invite for the time being.

The country singer made threats to me, a friend of mine and his fiance, so we're going to press charges.

But whats really crazy, that country singer left a threatening voice mail to a former musician, saying that he'd hunt the musician down. From what I saw on craigslist last night, this musician has ties to some biker gang and wants to throw down with the country singer.

I figured I'd rather not put any more gasoline on a fire and locked the blog for now. Once the smoke clears and the rest of the story plays out, I'll have it back online.

Pretty amazing how often the truth is stranger than fiction.

Yeah.... I'd say those are all good reasons to lock things down!

Some people just don't "get it", and it sounds like this band certainly fits, for you to put it all online and head around to forums to spread the word.

Apparently I can not.

Picture2-59.png

Thread fail.

If anyone wants access to the blog, just pm me your email address and I'll add you to the list.

Once this insanity is over, then it'll probably be public again.

haha I read it before it got private, it was hilarious :D
your boot up his ass man, he shall get what he deserves. but he seems to be one crazy mofo