Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
All That Remains – Behind Silence And Solitude
Metal Blade 2002
By Russell Garwood

All That Remains started off as a side project of former Shadow Fall vocalist Philip Labonte but is now his main concern. The band, consisting of guitarists Chris Bartlett and Oliver Herbert, Dan Egan on bass and drummer Mike Bartlett, plays a melodic form of metalcore. The vocals are a powerful but uni-dimensional hardcore shout supported by melodic, Gothenburg-reminiscent twin guitars with death metal drumming; obvious influences are Iron Maiden and other NWOBHM bands.

Standouts include opener and title track "Behind Silence And Solitude" for the guitar work, and the twin-harmony-laden "Clarity", while the melodic solos in “From These Wounds” are nothing short of excellent. Track 5, "Erase", has a very Anathema-esque intro and "Home To Me" includes a catchy, more relaxed instrumental section halfway through.

The music on "Behind Silence And Solitude" is at times complex, and always proficiently performed. If you are not in the mood, however, the vocals can begin to drag as can the occasional over-use of the snare. The lyrics are religiously themed in places (see: “One Belief”), and generally well written, while the artwork - if slightly unoriginal - is none the less very good. Overall this is an enjoyable album; the lack of variation can lead to monotony from time to time, but All That Remains' talent is promising.

Good review, and I agree with your points. I rock out to the album quite a bit. Pick up this album if ya already haven't.

This album lacks speed, But the leads a amazing reminds me of old school Maiden, and Judas Priest . It is worth going to pick up.