Alternative (Foo Fighters, Alter Bridge etc)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
not saying they sound like them...but that was kinda what I had in mind...for whatever reason...

here's the first roughmix

comments about the mix appreciated, please spare me with "I don't like the drummer,singer,bassplayer, guitarist, song" etc....it's not my band therefore I can't change any of those things and I doesn't really help me if I know whether ot not you like the drummer ;)

thanks for comments

P.S. I'm aware of the pumping (it's quite strong, I know ;) )..I might ot might not fix that sometime later, just a roughmix to gather some opinions :)

The mix is very very good.Great job:)

Is there something weird going on with the vocals though?Or is it just me?
It think they are a bit flat.

Then again i can't decide if they suit the mix or not........

Drums up (esp snare), guitar boominess dowwwwwwwwwn.

I don't really dig the drum tone on this. The toms/kicks are too metal/squishy. I'd either go for a really roomy sound or a really tight sound.. not the in between you've got atm.

Bass and vocals sound good, and everything else sounds well recorded.

Btw.. I somehow stumbled upon this and I don't quite remember how.. but when you apply distortion to a vocal bus with harmonies going (so 2 or 3 tracks at once), you get a really thick juicy distortion that completely backs off when there are no harmonies, because it relies on the harmonics.. or something, I can't really explain. So you can get a really Nickelback-type grind on the vocals when the harmonies kick in. Maybe try that in teh chorus for some extra power?

I really like it.
Might pull up the snare though as Morgan says.. but thats about the only thing id like to change.

Wow, surprised that the snare is too low for some. It's pounding me a bit at the moment, could just be the late night yesterday though. Actually I think it could just be that it sounds so sampled, IMO it doesn't quite suit the mix. Maybe more room tone verb on it to soften it then bring up the level?

Wow, surprised that the snare is too low for some. It's pounding me a bit at the moment, could just be the late night yesterday though. Actually I think it could just be that it sounds so sampled, IMO it doesn't quite suit the mix. Maybe more room tone verb on it to soften it then bring up the level?

.. he fixed it! ;)

good job! this sounds more like Alter Bridge. But the guits, mmmh I just don't think so much gain suits the music, guits need to be raw for this and I hear more "contour" (marshall?) than required IMHO. Also micing cabs not so close maybe hide that metal cab sound.

I'd also lower reverb on snare and turn room up on the whole drums. Cymbals, mainly crashes, sound weird and hard panning them doesn't help, maybe some boost in the highs and definitely lowering the disgusting Right crash.

Lowering fx on verses but the distorsion, will help chorus sound bigger.

anyway, the whole sounds big!

I feel like there is a disconnect between the vocals, guitars, and snare. The drums and bass minus the snare sound pretty good and tight. I think as it is, (I didnt hear the first version) the snare pokes out a little too much, and has a tiny bit too much low mids/ could use a little more 1-2k.

I think, the vocalist has a very middy voice, and I think that the guitars should have a little more of a nasally mid-grit to match him. I think it would glue the song together rather than make it feel like the singer is 10 ft above the band.

On the whole, it sounds pretty solid.

for a foo fighters cla mix i think guitars should not be panned that far apart. that would fill the wholes in places where the singer is not singing.
i think this is what ihate relates to as disconnection between vox and guitars.
also guitars on ff are way thinner and more 3k based. this sound very fat compared to their sound.
also dave grohls vocal sound is made of at least 4 layers that gives the vocals this "chorusy" sound thats so typical for them.

but other than that - very very cool lasse !

for a foo fighters cla mix i think guitars should not be panned that far apart. that would fill the wholes in places where the singer is not singing.
i think this is what ihate relates to as disconnection between vox and guitars.
also guitars on ff are way thinner and more 3k based. this sound very fat compared to their sound.
also dave grohls vocal sound is made of at least 4 layers that gives the vocals this "chorusy" sound thats so typical for them.

but other than that - very very cool lasse !

yeah, dodn't really try to copy FF though....guitars one other examples are thicker, I tried to find some middle way

vox in the chorusses are 6 layers.

thanks for listening

I think this sounds very good. But the snare is too "metal" for this kind of music IMO. Btw what´s the name of the band?

I like. Especially the clarity in the guitars, something I can never really achieve. But I suppose using real amps would help.

definitely a great mix dude! ;)

I also find super interesting the singer's voice, I don't know if just me or what, but sometimes it reminds me a little to the 3 doors down guy. that's cool!!!!

oh....and I like the tone of the guitars a lot and everything in its right place and sounding strong under my noobish point of view. I like this kind of mixes

congrats mate!! :)

yeah, dodn't really try to copy FF though....guitars one other examples are thicker, I tried to find some middle way
vox in the chorusses are 6 layers.
thanks for listening

alright, i thought you were trying to go into that direction.
if not and for its own its really cool and i dont have anyhting
to criticise other than it would be cool to fill the center with one additional guitar when the vocals stop.

is it 6 times the same part? i remember listening to ff raw tracks
and there was like 4 tracks of grohl singing the same line,
so it gets this washy but pretty cool and fat sounding vocals.

and a little off topic :wasnt the last alter bridge überschall ?
and is this überschall? guitars soudn really fat! i like that!

I also find super interesting the singer's voice, I don't know if just me or what, but sometimes it reminds me a little to the 3 doors down guy. that's cool!!!!

exactl my thoughts!

chorusses are 4 tracks unison and two lower ones.

rhythm guits are Rectifier with tube recs (no boost) miced with m160 (you can tell I'm into less tight bguitars lately ;)

melody/lead guits are Überschall miced with an m160

both played with Gibson firebird

Lasse solid sounding mix instruments blend well. Guitars are a little gainy and sterile over here. (could be my speakers) Vocals are not fitting in the mix (due to the singer I believe). Personal opinion here..... but I would distort them (not sure if the artist would go for that) almost like Tool a megaphone type effect with some more grit and delay. They are a little too clean for this mix ....mix sounds more heavy (evans blue) than 3 doors down.

What bass are u using here Lasse?

wow, sounds great! in my opinion it sounds a tiny bit too metal.
but it is a matter of taste and it works!