AMORPHIS announced new vocalist

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
The Finnish long time metal outfit Amorphis have finally found a new vocalist to replace Pasi Koskinen. The new vocalist found from the band's friends, from a local band NeverGreen, is called Tomi Joutsen who has been hired to handle all the vocal duties. Joutsen's debut gig was witnessed at the benefit gig arranged to help the victims of tsunami. According to the interview of Tomi Joutsen given to Iltalehti he unveiled to be digging the melancholic music from where Amorphis ladles all the inspiration and willing to do some growling vocals in the future. Amorphis has been working on the material for the new album and will be entering the studio by the end of spring. Meanwhile the Finnish melancholic metallers will head out to tour to The States and Mexico together with Into Eternity and Beyond The Embrace
(then bold is mine)

This is not something I like. I started for real with Amorphis on "Am Universum", its follower "Far From The Sun" is among my best of 2003 and I love its new approach and the clean vocals. So a comeback to the times of "Elegy" or before is not my deepest desire.

I think 1000 lakes is great, but stuff since doesn't do it for me.

SickBoy said:
My two favs are 1000 Lakes and especially Elegy.
I feel they did a good measure of clean and growling vocals on Elegy.
Cool we disagree at last :lol:

But SM agrees with me, so that compensates it :p

SickBoy said:
I agree. "The Karelian Isthmus" and "Tales From The Thousand Lakes" are my two favourites but I appreciate "Elegy" for being able to find a balance between early and later stuff.

SickBoy said:

Elegy is totally unbelievable. It is one of my favorite albums ever, as well as Tuonela.

I still have high hopes that this new guy can keep the band going in a positive direction. I like Far From The Sun but Pasi seemed really uninspired on his vocal parts. Hopefully this will be a good change.

And for the record I don't mind the growls as long as they are less than 50% of the vocal output.

Walter_Langkowski said:
And for the record I don't mind the growls as long as they are less than 50% of the vocal output.
0.5 % for me :D

I think Elegy's a bit of a step down from Lakes... They start having what sounds to me like a death metal polka kinda sound (is this "folk metal" ???... can't keep all these "subgenres" straight)