Amorphis Tattoos

Brell

Oct 10, 2016
Illinois
Does anybody have any Amorphis inspired tattoos? I'm planning on getting both logos (see attached example), hopefully before I see them on the US tour!

Attachments

• 20160821_165800.jpg
    20160821_165800.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2
I also plan on eventually getting sleeves on both arms that will be a tribute to Amorphis. I want the Hammer of Ukko on both arms, the sun from the Eclipse cover on one arm, and a moon on the other arm (possibly two moons!). One arm would be summer, and the other winter, and I want to try to work in as many details and references to album covers or songs as I can. I'm thinking of including lyrics from "Winter's Sleep", either "My heart is frozen and slow, it's snowing in my soul", or "I am of the wish of death, I am of the dream of life", the latter of which I think perfectly describes what is it like having depression.

Those are really cool ideas! I'm not planning on getting anything Amorphis-related, but if I was, I would have no idea what to get. There are so many wonderful lines, Amorphis is the only band I love for their lyrics.

Reactions: Brell
There are so many wonderful lines, Amorphis is the only band I love for their lyrics.

Agreed. There are a lot of bands that I love for their lyrics, Boysetsfire, Soilwork, Death, and The Haunted are just a few examples, but none of them have the impact of Amorphis lyrics. If I got a tattoo of all the Amorphis lyrics that really hit home for me, I would be completely covered!!

The Ukonvasara on the forearm was what started this all:

ello-xhdpi-b3caaf3e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: requiem and Brell
I tried to get the Ukonvasara, but it didn't turn out right, which is actually my fault. I brought the guy a picture of the Ukonvasara from one of the new t-shirts they had when UTRC came out. He said he wouldn't be able to get all the little details right for the size that I wanted it. So he said I should find a simpler design. I googled "Amorphis Hammer Logo", to see what I could find, and I found one that I thought was good, it was simpler, but shaped slightly different. I was so gung ho about getting it done that day that I just went ahead and got it, but I should have done more research.

It was only after I got it that I started reading more, and found out I had gotten the Swedish version of it, not the Finnish version. I had no idea about any of this stuff beforehand. (Embarrassing sidenote....for years I thought the Ukonvasara was an Anchor lol!)

I do like a lot of Swedish bands, so I guess it's not a huge deal. But I do want to try to get it modified at some point to look more like the Ukonvasara.

Last edited:
The ukonvasara on the cover of FFTS was actually found at Old Lieto Castle (Liedon in Finnish). The hill fort is on a trade route and they've found signs of settlement from the Viking age and Swedish style grave burials there. There's really no telling who made or wore that ukonvasara, or if it was a Finn or a Svear. At that point in history it probably didn't matter much, anyway, since it predates the Christianization of the Swedes and there was a lot of cultural exchange. The political rivalry nonsense came with the Church.

Every design I bring to Adam, he asks if we can make it bigger so he can be more detailed. I've learned not to argue with the artist.

I'd put together the rest of the arm before having an artist try to modify what you have there (which looks fine as-is). Minor things that bugged me about my first tattoos no longer phased me once they were surrounded by the other designs. They start to sort of fade into an overall design at some point and people stop seeing the individual pieces so much as the overall effect.

I also plan on eventually getting sleeves on both arms that will be a tribute to Amorphis. I want the Hammer of Ukko on both arms, the sun from the Eclipse cover on one arm, and a moon on the other arm (possibly two moons!). One arm would be summer, and the other winter, and I want to try to work in as many details and references to album covers or songs as I can. I'm thinking of including lyrics from "Winter's Sleep", either "My heart is frozen and slow, it's snowing in my soul", or "I am of the wish of death, I am of the dream of life", the latter of which I think perfectly describes what is it like having depression.

Woah, sleeves on both arms?! That's a lot of Amorphis love. Have you started on this project yet?

Woah, sleeves on both arms?! That's a lot of Amorphis love. Have you started on this project yet?

Unfortunately I haven't. I know it's quite an ambitious goal for me, I never have enough money for tattoos, so I don't know if I will complete it in my lifetime lol!

Tattoos are one of those things for which you do not want to go cheap, too. I've spent more money on mine than I would have thought possible in the beginning, but every time I see someone else with a cheap, badly done tattoo, I'm glad that I did not cut any corners on mine. Better no tattoo than a bad tattoo.

Tattoos are one of those things for which you do not want to go cheap, too. I've spent more money on mine than I would have thought possible in the beginning, but every time I see someone else with a cheap, badly done tattoo, I'm glad that I did not cut any corners on mine. Better no tattoo than a bad tattoo.

Amen. And you see bad tattoos everywhere. I was all primed to get one around my twentieth birthday, but now 15 odd years later I still haven't got around to it.

I was 42 when I got my first tattoo. I had a lot of tattoo ideas before then, but I'm glad I never acted on any of them because the ink and ideas I have now are better than the ones I had at 25 or 37. I have no faddish tattoos or bad tribals or intricate designs that were done too small and have turned into a big colorful blur with time. Instead, I have designs that have decades of thought behind them and a world class artist.

No regrets about waiting. No regrets about getting it done.

Still have another arm.

I have designs that have decades of thought behind them

...and centuries of history. Still don't have any although there are several good artists in my town and I've been toying with many ideas over the years. But the definite one hasn't quite cristallized yet, not to mention that whatever money I get my hands on usually goes into gigs and albums.

not to mention that whatever money I get my hands on usually goes into gigs and albums.

Even before I was married & had a kid, I never had the kind of money needed to get really tatted up. Now I see kids in their early 20's that are almost totally covered in tats, and I think "Where the fuck did they get the money for that?". Or I'll mock them like "Thanks Mommy & Daddy!" lol!

Yes, the money going to other things. Was talking to my wife the other day and she asked me what I wanted for my birthday. "Didn't you want a guitar?" she says. Well, yes, but the ones I have been looking at, while not an expensive guitar, are still expensive enough to give me pause.

"So, like two hours of tattoo, then," she says.

Yeah...

...it's a sickness.