amp quality/ room disturbance

covil

johny bigode
Mar 22, 2007
Finally i have some time to write my opinion on something that i´ve been trying to post a long time ago!
After trying several amps like- peaveys, engls,kranks,Marshalls and
Fenders, i´ve to a conclusion. I like them all, well, some more than others but i can see them all doing god job at recording, but for different purposes.
Well, until recently i was like many people, always unhappy with my recordings,and bought and trade many amplifiers losing so much money that i even don´t want to remeber:erk:!!
Why the f*** did my amps sounded good on stage but on my studio i always had a bad tone? So like many, i kept trading ,selling, and buying amps!
My studio was 2 living rooms on my old house, with some bass traps and that foam stuff. I thougt it was decent enough, but was i wrong!!! After a long period of reserching i did some acoustic treatment myself on my two living rooms.Started playing in there, wow!! it was so different!! Tried recording some stuff and instantly my guitar tone was better than it ever was! Nothing different, except the rooms!!!!
What i´m trying to say is that: don´t sell your amp just because you can´t get a good tone on recording, if it sounds good on stage it will probably do good enough for recording too. When it doesn´t sound good on your home studio, probably your room is the culprit.
Just look at Eddie´s studio building thred and see the problems that he is having with his monitor setup because of his room!!
I wish i had realised this a long time ago$$$$$$$$!!

i have realiced the same. Good room is 80% of the sound, if you record. can you tell us what did you do to you room. traps etc.

iv still have some issues on 200-1000k.

20-50hz- plasterboard with a sealed air gap
50-200hz- membrane, again with a sealed air gap
200 upwards-avoid parallel walls when doing the plasterboard stuff
400hz upwards- cotton felt, fiberglass, rock wool...

When doing that sort of treament is always better to treat your room for a dead sound(evenly at all audio spectrum), and then brightning up in a more controled way, using wood or anything to give it some life, at least to make people more confortable( dead rooms are strange to be in), however in small rooms is always better to have it pretty dead, because any coloration are early reflections with very small decay, disguising the original tone of the instrument. If you´re lucky and your room is big enough, you can live it with some ambience, which is always usefull for recording drums with room mics.