Amp switching

amarshism

Oct 15, 2008
Brisbane CBD
I'm looking for anyone with experience in multi amp switching. Basically I'm looking to neaten up my rig, cut down on set up/tear down times, make swithing less of an interprative dance expose, and just basically have everything always ready to go.

Essentially I'm going to be running two live rigs that can cater to all scenarios I'm likely to encounter in all my different bands be it now or in the future.

Essentially I'll be racking my mark v, and recto in one case/dirt rig with a drawer, and rack to house my effects, wireless and pedals. The second case/clean rig will house my old jc-120 and old 70s ac30tb.

What I'm looking for is something that can route all of my pedals that are to be run in front of the amps in loops, change amps, change ch on the mesas, activate fx loops/mute/reverb/solo functions on them and possibly even control via midi my rack fx.

I want to be able to program the ground control pedal or whatever it comes with so that at the click of a switch I can select what pedals will be brought into loop, what amp and ch I will be on, and any other controllable parameters at once.

Does anyone currently have a rig configured as such, or experience with such a comprehensive switching system?

I'm currently thinking I may need the voodoolabs gcx x 2/3 plus the gcp. Any ideas/opinions?

No I do not want an axe fx lol. I will be getting one, but I like REAL amps.

Yes, the GCX/GCP will do what you need. But you may have to use 2 GCXs to switch that amount of gear.

I'm selling mine if you are interested.

Also, there is another company out there that has a setup similar to the Voodoo Labs system, only it's a little more expensive.

Yeh aus prices are ridiculous. 80 shipping for the gcx and gcp?

Very tempting. I'll do some research on it and let you know. Thanks for the input.

If anyone else knows of alternatives it'd be great to hear.

I also realise I'll have to have a load connected to both heads, so is there a way I can have both hooked up to one cabinet and be able to switch between the two, or would I have to lug around two quads? I realise a Mesa is a stereo cabinet, but wouldn't each head then only be using 2 speakers?

Yeah you are going to have to go with a stereo cab, unless you want to carry around 2 2x12's or 2 4x12's.

Each amp will only use one side in a stereo cab, correct, so the sound guy will have to mic 2 instead of one. No biggie. I had to do this before when I had an amp for cleans, and a separate amp for dirty.

Or........

You could also buy a Radial Headbone, which can be controlled by the GCX.... Now that would be an awesome setup with unlimited possibilities.... And only 1 cab!