Amp XLR Cab?

Panzer667

Death Forever
May 4, 2008
Hi,

Can you connect a guitar amp to the cab using an xlr cable with a tele/xlr adapter in both ends? I want to know because it would be great if I could have the amp in the studio and the cab in the live room when recording. All I have leading in to the live room are xlr connections...

I’m a noob so be gentle!

Big no-no - an XLR cable has two signal wires and just the insulation for ground, wheras a speaker cable needs to have two equal sized wires, one for signal and one for ground. Just order two of these and however many feet you need of this, or this if quality is more important to you than money :). Get a soldering iron and your good to go!

Oh, and just run the cable under the doors to get it from room to room.

Thank you!

So you are saying i should take a really long instrument cable? is there no way i could make a "hub" on both sides off the wall where i could connect these cables?

Under the door is not an option for me as there is no "under the door" under the door. =)

Well not exactly, since a speaker cable has two actual wires for its two conductors, while an instrument cable has a wire for its signal and the shielding for its ground. As for a hub, sure you could - just get two female wall jacks, and put either of the above speaker cables between them.

speaker cables are designed to carry current and XLR Microphone cables are designed to carry voltage. big difference.

run a speaker cable between the rooms.

Well not exactly, since a speaker cable has two actual wires for its two conductors, while an instrument cable has a wire for its signal and the shielding for its ground. As for a hub, sure you could - just get two female wall jacks, and put either of the above speaker cables between them.

Okej, do you have a link for those wall jacks? Can't seem to find any.. =(
But i will keep searching. Thank you for your patience.

Well you'd probably wanna find a bigger Neutrik because speaker cable is really thick, but otherwise yeah, that'd work!