Amptweaker TightMetal pedal

From what i can tell, the pedal sounds pretty awesome on bass. Nice avatar mondo cane. The hm-2 is the only pedal for metal that I could use over the years.

I chuckled when I saw them name drop the guitarist for MISERY INDEX. Good band, but last time I saw them was in a bar and they cut short their set when someone hucked a beer at the singer. Not the first band I'd go to for tips on developing a high-tech "tight metal" pedal.

Pedal design sounds interesting though. Tying the gate response to the gain control seems like a good idea, for instance.

I chuckled when I saw them name drop the guitarist for MISERY INDEX. Good band, but last time I saw them was in a bar and they cut short their set when someone hucked a beer at the singer.

Trust me, if someone would do that to me on stage, I would do the same.

From what i can tell, the pedal sounds pretty awesome on bass. Nice avatar mondo cane. The hm-2 is the only pedal for metal that I could use over the years.

I am a bass player foremost, and I'll obviously give the TightMetal a shot on my rig as well.
Talking about classic boss pedals, having mucho fun with an old [Keeley mod] ds-1 lately. Into sanamp bassdriver [a la Rotten Sound] is super-heavy territory and a perfect match with downtuned gtrs. Great direct sound too, blended with a touch of mic'd amp.

I have one. IMHO it does a good job of copping a heavy 6505-style crunch sound. Great low end response, but for searing high gain settings, look elsewhere.

(Kinda disappointed, as its sounds don't work all that well with my present gear.) Best with a tube amp. Not great through solid state amps.

Awesome bass guitar distortion pedal however.

More info from others here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...edal-misery-index-demo-holy-sh-t-content.html

I plugged the pedal into the effects loop of two amps. I also tried the pedal straight into the input of both amps.

Test gear was a bunch of older Peavey gear, an old solid state Bandit and a newer tube Classic 30.

I also tried it through a PA system.

Good results in all cases, but nowhere near the cascaded gain heard in the demos.

Maybe it needs a high gain amp to achieve those tones, but it seems that that would defeat the purpose of standalone pedal like that...

I’m going to try some more tests...

I plugged the pedal into the effects loop of two amps. I also tried the pedal straight into the input of both amps.

Test gear was a bunch of older Peavey gear, an old solid state Bandit and a newer tube Classic 30.

I also tried it through a PA system.

Good results in all cases, but nowhere near the cascaded gain heard in the demos.

Maybe it needs a high gain amp to achieve those tones, but it seems that that would defeat the purpose of standalone pedal like that...

I’m going to try some more tests...

All the TightMetal videos are either into a clean amp or a power amp/effects return....none are cascaded into a lead channel or driven from or into other pedals.

The one I did was using a Peavey Vandenberg with its stock pickups which are fairly hot. Mark Kloeppel had EMGs and I'm not sure what pickups are on Jason's Bernie Rico Jr, but they're probably hot too. It's possible that Jason's demo was with 18v, since we were swapping back and forth, but it's more compressed and gainy at 9.

If you turn the Tight up a lot it sounds cleaner, and less thick, so maybe that's it......AND all the demos are closed back cabinets which tends to emphasize the heaviness as well.

Also with the gate on it feels like a little less gain since the notes die really quickly. Mess around with it some more and see what you can get out of it.

Alberto invited me to chime in, and I hope I helped you figure out some settings.
James Brown
amptweaker.com

All the TightMetal videos are either into a clean amp or a power amp/effects return....none are cascaded into a lead channel or driven from or into other pedals.

The one I did was using a Peavey Vandenberg with its stock pickups which are fairly hot. Mark Kloeppel had EMGs and I'm not sure what pickups are on Jason's Bernie Rico Jr, but they're probably hot too. It's possible that Jason's demo was with 18v, since we were swapping back and forth, but it's more compressed and gainy at 9.

If you turn the Tight up a lot it sounds cleaner, and less thick, so maybe that's it......AND all the demos are closed back cabinets which tends to emphasize the heaviness as well.

Also with the gate on it feels like a little less gain since the notes die really quickly. Mess around with it some more and see what you can get out of it.

Alberto invited me to chime in, and I hope I helped you figure out some settings.
James Brown
amptweaker.com

Thanks for the feedback.

The amps used were all open back in my case.

Maybe I need to go through a power-amp into a 4x12.

My pickups are EMG 81s and 85s so that should not be too much of an issue.

GIMME CLIPS! I've been lookin at that pedal for my bass. Very intrigued.

You may have already seen these, but there are 3 videos on my Youtube site demoing the TightMetal with bass. One is Greg Weeks playing it, and the other 2 are from a customer who bought a modded Bass TightDrive from me with the extra lowend blend knob. He later bought the TightMetal and loved it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-L9faNaVMk&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

James

Last edited by a moderator: