An EQ request

Fabbio

Yoda
Mar 6, 2005
Milano, Italy
Hi guys!!!

I'm used to hear and read about various frequency talk here but I must admit an ignorance of mine: when i read about "enhance the 543hz and back off on 23hz" and so on I don't really know where in the spectrum those frequency lay.

Can someone stop my ignorance and finally compiling this EQ map for me (and everyone else find this interesting, of course!!!)?

-Deepest:
-Very low:
-Low:
-Mid-low:
-Mid:
-Mid-high
-High:
-Very high:
-Shrieeeeeeeeek!:

Like this, for example -Very low: 234 to 456hz (numbers TOTALLY made up)
That would be very useful. To finally know what to enhanche or notch down in a mix.

Thanks!!! :wave:

Hope this is what you are looking for (appologies in advance if some of this is hard to understand!) :

Frequencies are measured in Hz (hertz). Humans can hear from 20Hz to 20,000Hz (20kHz).

The lower frequencies that we can hear are at around 20Hz (bass) and as we get a higher frequency the deepness gradually turns to higher, treble sounds.

Most mixes have the lower frequencies "rolled off", from around 40Hz downwards, to remove unnessecary mud. Mixes also generally have less going on towards 20kHz, with slight roll off's from maybe 15Hz. High end sparkle and such is found in the higher frequencies.

Boosting is to increase a certain frequency, while notching generally refers to taking away a frequency. The "Q" variable when using an EQ determines the shape of the adaption you are making, a low number for Q will affect many more frequencies, while a large number for Q will be very close to the specified frequency and will not affect many others around it. Notching generally applies to using a large Q, so that a certain frequenct can be notched out of the mix. Rolling off, however, refers to a lower number for Q and will smoothly decrease a larger range of frequencies.

A good way to learn about frequencies is to play around with a parametric EQ and a spectrum analyzer. The bars on the left of the analyzer will show the bass, and as we look towards the right, you will see the mids and highs too. Experiment changing different frequencies, by cutting or boosting, and listen and look to what difference it will make.

Frequencies are a massive subject and has many surrounding topics including phase ideas, and resonance. A quick googl-ing will provide many articles in which frequencies to increase to reach a desired effect from different instruments.

Just a word of caution... Every "eq chart" that I've seen seems to imply that you should boost specific ranges to get a desired effect.

I used to do that when I first started out, but when I started to really learn how to use subtractive eq, my mixing improved dramatically.

That link seems pretty good in terms of suggesting cuts as well as boosts and cautioning against excessive boosting. Much better than most frequency cheat sheets I've seen online.

Anyway, it's generally a good idea to try to fix a problem by cutting out what you don't like first, then maybe slightly boosting certain areas if it's still lacking.

To start learning how to do that, you can find some frequency cheat sheet pages and work backwards. If a guitar is too boomy, look for the frequency range where the sheet suggests to add more boom and start cutting there. Cross reference a few different pages, and you'll learn much faster than you might think.

Just my $0.02.

This is a very handy program:

Simple Feedback Trainer

It's a util designed for FOHengineers to learn to quickly identify a feedbackpitch so it can be blocked with the eq, but it basically trains you -as a sort of game- to learn the pitch(tone) that goes with the Hrtz.

Just fire it up and it will start outputting a tone. Click the right slider on the eq gui and you've got a point! (and you'll here another tone... etc..)

It can train you towards some sort of 'perfect eq-pitch' so to speak.

Have fun! ;)

Thank you guys!!!

Very interesting advices and things to study!!! Just what I was lokking for!

I didn't make it through the download of the program Mulder suggested, 19 mb is too much for my 56k.

I want ADSL as soon as possibleeeeeee!!! :yell:

Fabbio said:
Thank you guys!!!

Very interesting advices and things to study!!! Just what I was lokking for!

I didn't make it through the download of the program Mulder suggested, 19 mb is too much for my 56k.

I want ADSL as soon as possibleeeeeee!!! :yell:

Dude, its only 286k!!

And you will like it... :D

I can mail it to you if you want to... (its freeware)