An honest review of Abrahadabra (confessions of a tr00 metaller)

So, it is so untr00 to like Dimmu Borgir, right? They haven't put out a decent album in years, right? They sold out, remember? They suck!

Disagree.
Your premise seems to suggest people are panning the new disc because of who Dimmu Borgir is. However, such a premise seems to dismiss the more likely possibility; people are panning this disc because it's just not very good.

Similar to you, I have no interest in how tr00 or kvlt a band is. I'm interested in answering only one question; do I like it? With regard to Abrahadabra, that answer is a resounding "no". Dimmu has been on a slow, steady decline since PSE. This disc represents the next step in that decline. Granted, the band isn't helping themselves with the latest incarnation of their image. That said, the failure of the visual is a distant second to the failures of the sound. And the sound here, much like that of ISD, is devoid of creative music, melodies or atmospheres. In my opinion, this is just dull, retread, overproduced crap. And that opinion has nothing to do with it not being Black enough.

And just to clarify, I'm not someone who hates or even dislikes Dimmu. I have every intention of seeing them when they play here in a few weeks.

I agree that Abrahadabra is a great album, and I actually really -like- the direction they've been going. IMO, they've only been getting better over time. If I were to chart Dimmu's albums in order of preference, it'd pretty much be in reverse chronological order. As far as 'gateways' is concerned, I actually liked the "weird" vocals.

But then again, I'm a sucker for orchestral velveeta, and do not feel that my opinion in these matters is to be regarded as any sort of rational.

I definitely agree that this is a different band from where they were at Puritanical. But I like all incarnations of the band. I thought In Sorte was awesome. And I think this continues where that album left off. *shrug*

I definitely agree that this is a different band from where they were at Puritanical. But I like all incarnations of the band. I thought In Sorte was awesome. And I think this continues where that album left off. *shrug*
I liked DCA. It was fairly unique in that it was a interesting blend of Black and Power elements. In Sorte sounded like B-sides from DCA. The new one just sounds like they're out of ideas. That said, their sound remains pretty unique. So if the sound appeals to someone, I can see them enjoying this disc.

Obviously, all musical perspectives are subjective. My only point was, there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of this disc, beyond it simply not being BM. Still, I'm hoping their live show brings some of the music from the last two discs alive for me.

See and that's what bothers me so much with the bm community. They can be very fickle. Don't get me wrong though, I like true black metal stuff. I just have a feeling they never really wanted to be that. It's definitely a preference thing though as comparing Dimmu to like Immortal for instance is apples and oranges.

Well not that I associate myself with a "bm community" because most of those guys reign supreme as nerd shogun masters, but it's not really fickle if you like metal for its balls. I don't like over indulgent orchestral scores whizzing by while some dude chugs on a chord or two in the background, all wrapped up in a pretty package. I want riffs, and I want those riffs to be furious. I feel like Dimmu embodies everything that is lame with metal. Makes no difference to me as whether or not they wanted to be like that.

Well not that I associate myself with a "bm community" because most of those guys reign supreme as nerd shogun masters, but it's not really fickle if you like metal for its balls. I don't like over indulgent orchestral scores whizzing by while some dude chugs on a chord or two in the background, all wrapped up in a pretty package. I want riffs, and I want those riffs to be furious. I feel like Dimmu embodies everything that is lame with metal. Makes no difference to me as whether or not they wanted to be like that.

I definitely can see why people wouldn't want that. I like that style, though in certain doses. I was more meaning that a lot of people consider them sellouts, and I just don't associate a band selling out if that's what they wanted to do. It does seem like some of the orchestral elements overpower the guitars on this release.

I thought they were awesome when I saw them on the In Sorte tour. But then again, they had Hellhammer and Vortex....

Yep....I saw them here at the Tabernacle (!) with Unearth. Hene Hoglan was drumming for Unearth, Hellhammer for Dimmu, so in the space of a couple of hours we saw two of the finest drummers on the planet. :headbang:

I'm still not sure who was drumming for Dimmu here for this last show, but he was quite good.

Yep....I saw them here at the Tabernacle (!) with Unearth. Hene Hoglan was drumming for Unearth, Hellhammer for Dimmu, so in the space of a couple of hours we saw two of the finest drummers on the planet. :headbang:

I'm still not sure who was drumming for Dimmu here for this last show, but he was quite good.

It was Dariusz "Daray" Brzozowski who is currently drumming with Dimmu and was on the new album as well. He used to drum for Vader I believe.