An interview with jon schaffer

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
http://212.186.198.26/metaleagle/interviews/icedearth/icedearth.html

Heres an interview with Jon, its VERY interesting, Jon is SUPER pissed at century media and steve digiorgio. I cant say I blame him either (until i hear steves side, ill believe jon) and the label never supported them either.

I think everyone here would agree with jons thoughts on the music industry in general, **especially** those of you who are in/have been in bands!

Ive found being in a band for a few years now that usually there are two sides of the story. To me Jon sounds a little like Steve Harris. It has to be his way and no other.

Bands are like a bad marrage. If you don't get along it can be a living hell. Trying to get 4 or 5 guys or girls to get along and have similar goals is more than a mission.

My advice to you guys is, stay away from all this band stuff and and enjoy the music because one day you might find your heroes aren't all you hoped they would be.

Anyway thanks for the interview spawn. It was interesting.

I guess you are probably right crossy, they are only human after all. Ive heard that steve is a bit of a control freak too.

But considering all the stuff he has to put up with (this would go as much for steve as it does jon) im not really shocked that they can be so single minded, it seems to be the only way to get things done right for them. Besides, Steve is Jons hero (he always says that in interviews!) so maybe Jon is more like him than even he knows :lol:

No need to thank me about the interview crossy, i didnt know whether to post it or not, ive posted too much crap about iced earth recently, but it was such a good interview i thought id post about them AGAIN :)

Anyway, good advice about listening to the music and not the bullshit, so im listening to horror show now :D

Tha was a really cool interview! Seriously.

If only I liked Iced Earth. :)

Originally posted by Sydo
Tha was a really cool interview! Seriously.

If only I liked Iced Earth. :)

You dont like iced earth?? The men in the white coats will be there tomorrow sydo, dont fight them, it just makes it worse :D

Well, it's not that I don't like Iced Earth - I havn't heard enough to really judge them.
What I've heard I have not disliked anyway.

I've been getting into a few good bands which I've ignored (throguh ignorance) in recent months.

Nevermore
Motorhead
Dream Theater
Helloween

Maybe Iced Earth is next. I do plan on picking up Horr Show when it's out. :D

I also am not really into IE. I haven't heard enough I s'pose, to make a fair judgement.

But, if I was a fan, that interview would worry me a little. Admitting to holding back good songs? Saying that they're saving all their good stuff for later? I realise that he's not happy with the label, but he's basically saying that this is just a filler album.

At least with Maiden it's "this album is the best one ever" everytime

Jon definitely has a "it's my band" attitude, but so he shoud because it is his band :)

I like how he said about how he got excited about Kiss and Maiden albums :) He sounds like me hehe.

I saw a photo of him once working in his bedroom, and his walls were covered in Kiss and Iron Maiden and he also had a Texas Chainsaw Massacre poster. I though WOW he is like me! haha!

Originally posted by phlogiston
I also am not really into IE. I haven't heard enough I s'pose, to make a fair judgement.

But, if I was a fan, that interview would worry me a little. Admitting to holding back good songs? Saying that they're saving all their good stuff for later? I realise that he's not happy with the label, but he's basically saying that this is just a filler album.

At least with Maiden it's "this album is the best one ever" everytime

I agree Phloggy. That is a bit of a worry. Ive heard a lot of the songs off the album and they sound cool, but if they are holding better songs off for another couple of years then that is a worry. Maybe they should have done that covers cd first to get the record company off their back and then do the cd that will revolutionise the music scene forever :rolleyes: :D

Well he hasnt actually written any of those songs yet, so its just speculation about it at the moment. He has said the basic storyline for it and everything in interviews (it sounds really cool!) but he knows century media wont support them, so im kinda glad they are waiting, even though i REALLY want to hear it!
Maiden are on a major label so i think that situation is a bit different.

Troops: I know, ive seen him being interviewed on some of my vid bootlegs and he talks about how he reads spawn and maiden/kiss etc. I no longer felt as geeky and loserish when i saw jon does it too :lol:

P.S. to anyone thats heard the opera ghost, HOW MUCH does it remind you of suite sister mary by queensryche?! Jon loves them too so its not a huge surprise, and its a great song anyway, my favorite from horror show :)

Ok, I've just heard my first song from Horror Show, 'Damien'.

In fact it's only the 3rd Iced Earth song I've really ever listened to.

And, well... It really... :(
rocks I'm happy. :D

Originally posted by Sydo
Ok, I've just heard my first song from Horror Show, 'Damien'.

In fact it's only the 3rd Iced Earth song I've really ever listened to.

And, well... It really... :(
rocks I'm happy. :D

Damien rocks, but get the phantom opera ghost next if you can, tis very cool :D

Well, I've submitted to peer pressure and have gone out and bought "Something Wicked..." (Well, I found it cheap anyway. $16. Bargain. Also got Paul Di'anno - Beyond the Maiden, but that's a different thread.)

I'll let you know my feelings after a couple of listens.

Good choice, Phloggy. Something Wicked was the first IE album I bought as well. The cover alone was enough to convince me :).

A fine introduction to a great band (I felt fourteen years old again the first time I listened to it), but overall I think Dark Saga has more staying power. Days of Purgatory is great too, and it's getting a lot of playing time at the mo because my stuffed-to-the-gills CD rack isn't wide enough for digipaks!

W

I too bought Something Wicked for $16 the other day. Good shit, indeed!

Just for the record, I also picked up the latest from Megadeth, Opeth, Nevermore, Halford, Cradle of Filth and The Haunted, plus finally got Appetite For Destruction on CD after having it on tape since 1989! :)