Anathema's highest selling album: 100,000+ ?

Oded

Jan 26, 2003
Boston, U.S.
Visit site
Is this true, or am I off base? I seem to recall reading an interview with Hammy years ago in which he stated that Anathema (Eternity?) and My Dying Bride (TAATDR)'s top-selling cds each were around 100,000 sold.
If this is accurate, that is fucking staggering, when you consider that a similar band today selling 25,000 is considered very successful.

theres a thread here somewhere on this , think it was serenades that sold most (did i mention i have that on VINYL folks :lol:)
basically MTV makes the difference

Serenades... the best selling one? But, but, but... it's the worst! It's a paltry 8 / 10 album! I would think that The Silent Enigma or Alternative 4 would be the best selling ones, simply because of how available they are. It took me years to find Serenades (I eventually found it on the End's mail order for $8 (not bad for a double album, eh?)). It took me hours to find the two I mentioned above. Maybe it's just here in the states that this problem exists... (the hardest to find Anathema album BY FAR was Judgement).

yeah, it may sound wierd but both danny and dunc i think said serenades (which bambi owns on VINYL) is the best selling one...

my brother has Serenades from his death/doom days, as i am sure many other old Headbanger's Ball viewers do. you've got to love Sleepless, right?

eek7.gif
moldy mackerel, Batman! ..erm, i mean Duncan. half a mill.. :Smokin:

anathema cds are out here for 10euros,and some version crestfallen+pentecost is 10 too..!pretty low for alt4 innit? no barcodes too!generally in every metal store here no barcodes !!collectors editions

Well, here are the sellings of each anathema release:
1.They die 7" - 100 million copies (41 million only in canada- you were almost right Dunc!)
After this the Billboard chart ceased existing as this demo stayed for over a year in the 1 position and people got bored...
2.Serenades-300 thousands copies - The explanation for these much redused sellings is that the people who got the demo in the first place, never red the logo "Madona" on the cover of serenades which "accidentally" was typed in the cover of "They die".
3.Pentecost 3 - 500 thousand copies! The 300 thousand previous fans and also other 200 thousand Christians who thought that this cd was a fast-guide for the days that precede Easter!
4.Silent enigma - 100 thousand copies! The 200 thousands Christians preached to a similar amount of doomsters who bought pentecost and the sellings dropped again...
5. Eternity - 25 thousand copies. (This must be true! :D)
6.Alternative 4 - 4000 thousand "alternative" doomsters.
7.Judgement- 3999 thousand copies. Quiz: Find the one that didn't buy it! :lol: :lol:
8.A fine day to exit - 1 copy. I have it! All of you who think who think that you bought it are just having illusions!!!

...and if anyone thought that this was for real, i have to say: I'm just kidding!!! :D :lol: :lol: :hotjump:

Strangelight said:
Pentecost III sold over 500,000 though
you cant defy a quality album like that. one just cannot die without one in the collection. and that goes for (almost) every Anathema release, and A fan.

LuminousAether said:
(the hardest to find Anathema album BY FAR was Judgement).

Oh yeah I think there were 5 copies in my countries, I always wanted the Digipack, but never come, I had the normal one..

Transacoustic... :cry:

I think serenades had sold more perhaps of the time, lets wait some years to see what happen :) in 2010, alt4 = 1000000 copies :tickled:

Elmarad said:
Well, here are the sellings of each anathema release:
1.They die 7" - 100 million copies (41 million only in canada- you were almost right Dunc!)
After this the Billboard chart ceased existing as this demo stayed for over a year in the 1 position and people got bored...
2.Serenades-300 thousands copies - The explanation for these much redused sellings is that the people who got the demo in the first place, never red the logo "Madona" on the cover of serenades which "accidentally" was typed in the cover of "They die".
3.Pentecost 3 - 500 thousand copies! The 300 thousand previous fans and also other 200 thousand Christians who thought that this cd was a fast-guide for the days that precede Easter!
4.Silent enigma - 100 thousand copies! The 200 thousands Christians preached to a similar amount of doomsters who bought pentecost and the sellings dropped again...
5. Eternity - 25 thousand copies. (This must be true! :D)
6.Alternative 4 - 4000 thousand "alternative" doomsters.
7.Judgement- 3999 thousand copies. Quiz: Find the one that didn't buy it! :lol: :lol:
8.A fine day to exit - 1 copy. I have it! All of you who think who think that you bought it are just having illusions!!!

...and if anyone thought that this was for real, i have to say: I'm just kidding!!! :D :lol: :lol: :hotjump:

a delusion of silence?