Andreas Lill (Vanden Plas) underrated ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I have to go ahead and let the cat out of the bag and admit that I am pretty much a super fan of Vanden Plas, BUT I am also a reasonably intelligent metal fan who can distinguish bias from pure awe and I must say I am in pure awe at Andreas Lill and his drumming on "The Seraphic Clockwork" release. Andreas plays his role when he needs to, but when given the chance, he really shines. He doesn't get recognized as much as some drummers because of the lack of huge fills ala MarK Zonder, but his drumming is absolutely STELLAR on "The Seraphic Clockwork." I am curious if I am the only one who recognizes this ?

Bryant

I've only listened to "The Seraphic Clockwork" once, as I have yet to purchase it. However, I'm in full agreement with you about Andreas Lill. He's just as skilled as any of the major players in prog, but he focuses more on precision and where the drums fit within the context of the song. As much as I love to watch a drummer show what he or she can do, I feel that it's much more important to pay attention to your timing and your exact role in the music. Andreas does that to the fullest extent, and when he does let loose, it makes the display of virtuosity that much more impressive. I like to think of him as the Ian Paice of progressive metal: an underrated veteran who will never be out of a job.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I am curious if I am the only one who recognizes this?
Similar to what Al said, I think it's a testament to the songwriting, that none of Vanden Plas' musicians really stands out. They simply don't seem interested in showcasing their individual skills. Instead, they all firmly stick within the framework of the song. As for Andreas, I can't say I put him on any Top X lists of drummers. I just don't really think about him when I think of drummers. The guys who lead the pack in my eyes, are Mike from Zero Hour, Van from Nevermore and Simon of Primordial (though he's since been kicked out). Of all of them, Simon had the most definitive style.

The guys who lead the pack in my eyes, are Mike from Zero Hour, Van from Nevermore and Simon of Primordial (though he's since been kicked out).

I would add to that list Ed Warby from Star One, Rafael Pensado from Mindflow, and Johnny Sandin from Seventh Wonder.