Andromeda Thread

Apr 14, 2004
In a dank and dungeony dorm room
Im starting a thread for one of my favorite bands. The prog/metal band Andromeda.

www.andromedaonline.com

Although Im not a fan of the new singer, and more of a fan of the older singer Lawrence Mackrory (former Darkane/Seethings/Forcefeed), the music still draws me in. I suggest anything off the 1st album Extension of The Wish, especially on the title track "Extension of The Wish". II=I i feel is a lil thinner, and I havent been able to order the newest album Chimera due to lack of funds.

Thoughts?o_O

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
FINALLY! i can write a review for this amazing album, June 6, 2001
Reviewer: Michael Smith (Grande Prairie, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

...This is amazing prog metal. I somehow stumbled on this album by chance just before it's release, and not since the first time i heard Images & Words have i been so blown away by a prog metal record. This nice slab of swedish goodness comes at the genre from quite a heavier direction though than most, with some thrashy/groovy riffing and very tasty lead playing. And to think, mainman Johan Rienholdz is only 20! I think these guys have an unbelievable future ahead of them, and this is going to be one of the all time, must-have prog metal discs, no doubt. Singer Lawrence Mackory has a ton more edge and a more modern sound to his singing than your average prog singer, which might be to me the biggest selling point of the disc. I don't know how else to say it, this is ESSENTIAL.

oh yeah, i enjoyed II=I as well, but didn't care much for the singer at ALL for the first while. I like him now, but i do think they should've hired Mackory full time. A voice like that needs to be in prog metal, as i get sick of the geoff tate sound, and it does come off as a little dated. Musically, i thought II=I was "weirder", which was nice. Some GOOFY ASS lyrics though, especially the title song. My god. "protons, electrons, MOLECUULLESS FORMING COOOOMPLEX LIFE FOORMS".. i mean what the hell is that.

Chimera is much less "prog" and more of a modern rock kind of sound almost. I still dig it. Still think EotW is the best one.

Mumblefood said:
oh yeah, i enjoyed II=I as well, but didn't care much for the singer at ALL for the first while. I like him now, but i do think they should've hired Mackory full time. A voice like that needs to be in prog metal, as i get sick of the geoff tate sound, and it does come off as a little dated. Musically, i thought II=I was "weirder", which was nice. Some GOOFY ASS lyrics though, especially the title song. My god. "protons, electrons, MOLECUULLESS FORMING COOOOMPLEX LIFE FOORMS".. i mean what the hell is that.

Chimera is much less "prog" and more of a modern rock kind of sound almost. I still dig it. Still think EotW is the best one.

Yeah Lawrence was definately the best fit. I think the new singer vocals might be their downfall, his vocal style kinda throws Andromeda in with a group of other prog bands with the exact same style of vocals. Atleast Lawrence was different...and better.

Another gifted "prog-metal" band with their talent gone to waste, I think.

Andromeda rules. I love both singers even though it took me a while to get into II=I. That said, the new singer is a great vocalist no matter what anyone says. The former Darkane guy brought in some cool aggression that was missing in prog metal at the time, so he will always be special.

Besides the amazingly talented guitarist, one guy that always gets overlooked is Hedin, the killer keyboard player of the band. I've prolly played Extension of the Wish more than II=I, but that's because it came out a few years before II=I. As of late, whenever I wanna listen to Andromeda, I find myself reaching for II=I.

Sadly, I have yet to hear Chimera. Lots of mixed reviews on it. First, people said it was pretty straightforward. I read quite a few posts like this. In time, however, it was agreed that it is a lot more proggy than people give it credit for and that's what I want to believe personally.

At any rate, great band. People may not like them, but there's no denying they know what they're doing. Anyone who likes DT in a heavier context must give them a listen.

extension of the wish was one of a very few "prog metal" albums i ever thought had any validity at all, so if you MUST buy a cheesy, wankfest album, thats the one id recommend (although Armageddon - embrace the mystery is better although a bit more "power metally"). anyway, i got excited for a moment thinking this was about Andromeda the Psych band...oh well.