Andy Engberg has found a new band!

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
And it's reunited Swedish 80s legends 220 VOLT.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/199042

I love Engberg's vocals. The first 3 Lions Share discs are excellent, and the Section A stuff was very good too. However, without the voice of the original singer, 220 Volt's sound will surely be changed. But this is great news anyway, as Engberg is such an awesome singer and the samples sound good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salut Guillaume,

He already had a new band with last year's excellent "Speaking to Stones - Elements" disc. He's simply phenomenal on this progmetal disc. Made #2 on my 2012 list.

Steve

Salut Guillaume,

He already had a new band with last year's excellent "Speaking to Stones - Elements" disc. He's simply phenomenal on this progmetal disc. Made #2 on my 2012 list.

Steve

Salut Steve,

This one slipped under my radar, probably because I feared it would be "too proggy" for me. When I see an album with only 5 or 6 tracks at all 10+ minutes lenght, this usually puts me off...
Maybe I should give it a listen for Mr. Engberg alone...

What an odd combination. But I've liked both 220 Volt and Andy for years ... and the samples sound promising. So I am hopeful. Even better, the guys from 220 Volt are FINALLY moving ahead with some new music. It's been too damn long.

Salut Steve,

This one slipped under my radar, probably because I feared it would be "too proggy" for me. When I see an album with only 5 or 6 tracks at all 10+ minutes lenght, this usually puts me off...
Maybe I should give it a listen for Mr. Engberg alone...

I think you would like it. It's a cohesive disc that's got awesome melodies. The wankery is kept under control, we're not talking about Dream Theater style here. You definitely should give it a try.

As a new Engberg fan, I gotta admit hearing his speaking voice shocked me a bit. He's always looked like a sci-fi movie villain, but now he sounds like one. He's got the James Earl Jones thing going on. Pretty funny.

Now, for anyone who passed on Speaking to Stones, I can assure you it's a total badass album. It's no more or less proggy than Redemption. Just take out the personal, cathartic lyrics and tone. I'd always thought Andy was an above average singer with good range. I never cared for Lion's Share as it was obvious he was waaaay more talented than his bandmates and they didn't use him properly. STS shows what's possible with him on vocals.

Someone recently sent me Twilight - Eye for an Eye and I am now a huge Engberg fanboy. 220VOlt is now an essential purchase for me.

I've checked out Speaking To Stones and as I feared, it's too proggy for me, with all songs being too long. I can stand one (or 2) 10+ minute-songs on a album, but when all songs are too long, that's not really for me. I'm not really the prog guy anymore.

Twilight-Eye For An Eye is an excellent album indeed.

Section A-The Seventh Sign is also killer, and the best of their 3 albums IMO.

BTW, I think it's not fair to say that Engberg was "way more talented" than his Lions Share bandmates. Maybe you didn't like the more straight-forward style of Lions Share, but this is an excellent band for the melodic metal fans like me. The Engberg albums are excellent in my book, the one with Tony Niva (Entrance) is also very good. And the heavier, keyboard-less stuff they do now with Nils Patrick Johansson on vocals also rules. Lars Criss is surely an excellent guitarist, songwriter and producer in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never meant to slight Lions Share, just stating I think Engberg was by far the most talented member. Much like John West in Artension and DC Cooper in Royal Hunt, they stood out. To my ears and mine alone, Andy's best material was prior to and after LS.

That being said, I will go back and dust off Fall From Grace and see if my opinion holds water. I may be proven wrong and be gobsmacked by LS after all these years. I actually hope I am wrong.

It's great to see Anders (I still can't call him Andy :lol:) getting the recognition he deserves. One of my all time favorite singers! The last Section A album worried me but he is back and better than ever!