Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Angtoria - God Has A Plan For Us All
Listenable Records, 2006
By Katalin Sipos

angtoria.jpg

Sarah Jezebel Deva is well-known for her work with Cradle of Filth, Therion, Mortiis,Graveworm, The Kovenant and more. Her enchanting and unique vocals gained her countless fans among female and male metalheads. In 2001 when Sarah met Chris Rehn (Abyssos, Evergrey etc.) they found out they were both interested in creating an orchestral movie score project. Their demo was well received but they could not find an interested record label. They did not give up, and turned their project into a metal band with an orchestral movie score atmosphere. Sarah wrote the lyrics and Chris wrote the music, and while recording at the studio of Chris’ brother, Tommy, they asked him to join their band. That’s how Angtoria was born. A new demo got great reviews again, and in 2005 they signed to Listenable Records. Soon after this the band started recording their debut album.

God Has A Plan For Us All contains twelve epic, orchestral tracks, opening with a symphonic intro. But do not think of a typical, banal symphonic intro; rather a piece of a monumental opera. This grandiose, dramatic atmosphere imbues almost every song, while the music - including traditional metal elements and orchestral, symphonic arrangements - stays memorable. There is also a certain lightness in the music. The fact that Sarah sings with a strong, clear, warm, caressing voice, instead of high soprano vocals, contributes to this delicacy.

And it is all a great combination. The album is enjoyable and beautiful, without being ostentatious, arty or turning into a mushy mess; each song has a different character. The music and the lyrics are powerful emotionally. Sarah uses strong metaphors, while her voice wispily drifts around in the air. And again, it is a great combination. When I get to the eleventh song, I start to wonder where had I have heard this music before. It was a shock to discover that this was a cover version of a Kylie Minogue song, but with Sarah’s vocals, and with the metal instrumentation, it is good, as odd it may sound.

Some guests appear on the album. Martin Häggström (Moahni Moahna, Zool) is responsible for the male vocals in ’Deity of Disgust’ and he sounds a lot like Tom S. Englund from Evergrey. Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride) is a narrator in ’Original Sin’. Andreas Brojber (Platitude, Space Odyssey) contributes drums, Dave Pybus (Cradle of Filth) handles bass duties, Richard Andersson (Platitude, Space Odyssey) played on keyboards.

Generally I do not like female fronted metal bands (for many reasons), but Angtoria is different. I like their music and I really enjoy Sarah’s voice. This debut album is really worth the attention it has received.

Official Angtoria Webstie
Official Listenable Website