Another Bird Set Free - Billy Powell (1952-2009)

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
Billy Powell, keyboardist/pianist of the legendary Southern Rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died of a heart attack on January 28. Another irreplaceable talent is now free as a bird.

R.I.P. Billy Powell

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lahaPMhGsJc]Lynyrd Skynyrd - Billy Powell Tribute[/ame]

Wow, what a huge lose. They were one of the first rock bands I ever heard and were my fav until Maiden came along. Nonetheless, this band has what seems the worst curse for tragedy. Three died in an airplane crash in the 70's (including the singer), guitarist died in the late 80's, bassist died 3-4 years ago, and now the pianist. There's only one original member still in the band (Gary Rossington - guitarist). Will they still play? I recall some agreement with the widow of the original singer in that the band will only be allowed to perform as long as atleast three original members are in the group. They've been playing with two original members so who knows what's happened. It almost doesn't matter now since the new songs don't sound anything like the original lineup. I was fortunate to see them twice, once in the 80's and once in the 90's.

RIP Billy Powell.