Another EZ Drummer test

love it man! killer tune!
so how did you process the drums ?
not familiar with ezdrummer, is this some kind of
a le version of dkfh. what kits / parts did you use ?
reverb sounds quite alright, what did you use in there ?

I forget the exact names of the kit pieces but I think it was like this:

Kick: GMS2 Plastic Beater /w 20% pantera kick mixed in (to add more attack)
Snare: Unmuted Piccolo Snare
Toms: Default toms (GMS 12 to 16" I think)
The Crashes and Hat were default.

I parallel compressed all the toms and the kick. Was experimenting with it, trying to get more body into the drums overall.

The snare was compressed with Waves Rcomp, taking out around 3db with a slow attack and fast release. I took out a lot of 400Hz, which is where the ring in the snare was (remembering it was unmuted!), added a low shelf at around 200Hz and a pretty cranked high shelf around 1.5k. Also boosted around 5k.

Toms just had a standard low and high boost. Didn't really need much after the parallel compression.

Kick was just standard treatment. Scooped around 200Hz, boosted highs, parallel compressed for a bit more fatness.

OHs high-passed at 600Hz, compressed with Sonalksis Stereo Comp, boosted a bit in the highs.

Yeah, Ezdrummer is basically an LE version of DFHS. I'm glad for it too, since I don't have the RAM to run DFHS. The interface is very user-friendly, and whilst not as customizable as DFHS, its very easy to use and pull a decent sound from.

The verb was ArtsAcoustic.

Cheers.

it really seems like the humanize feature isn't turned on...with all the other clips I've heard from ezdrummer, this one sounds the most fake...which isn't fun.

Didn't want to sound like I was bashing on your stuff...it just seemed that way.

How do you blend samples and everything?

moonlapse, big kahuna for this detailed insight!

never tried parallel compression, its basically just
sending a signal to a compressor instead of a plain insert right ?
so you routed all toms and kick to a groupchannel and inserted a
send with your comp and mixed dry and wet ? are there any particularly suitable comps for
this trick ? which one did you use ?

I set up a waves rcomp compressor on an FX track in Cubase (auxillary track in ProTools). I set it to absolutely crush anything that came in. I then sent a certain degree of both kick and toms to it. The more you send it, the more body from the compressor comes out. It's easy to overdo so you have to be sparing I guess.

I've always known it as parallel compression, and that's what all the engineers around here call it.

Hmm, for some reason when I do that parallel comp thingy, there seems to be audibly two separate kicks, and the other one comes just a few ms after the first one, which makes the kick sound *very* strange. Swapping the phase does not do anything to it :S

Here's a sample of it:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/setphasetostun.mp3 (142 kB)

Edit:
Oh and Drumagog has nothing to do with it, as it sounds the same even without Drumagog running.

trym: New York Compression is sending the signal to a buss with a compressor but then also EQing the buss so that you cut some mids with a wide Q at 500, add some bass at 100 and some treble at 10k. That way you can really ooomph up the drums & bass.

The difference to normal parallel compression is the EQ in my book.