Another metal mix without any samples used (THRASH!)

Sounds awesome :headbang:

I really like the guitar tone and the snare suits the music pretty well. The kick gets a little lost in the mix, though. I'd maybe lower the guitars and raise the drums but I guess it's ok the way it is.

RECORDING INFO

Drums

My Tama Crestar (birch set) w/ Sonor metal piccolo snare (22", 8", 10", 12" and 14").
Aquarian and Remo heads.

- Kick Inside: Beyerdynamic M88 N(C) -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800
- Kick Outside: DIY subkick -> TLA 5050 Ivory II -> Fostex AC2496
- Snare Top: EV Co4 -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800
- Snare Bottom: GA Project FC4 -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800
- Rack Toms: Sennheiser BF 504 -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800
- Floor Tom: Sennheiser E602 -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800
- Overheads: Rode NT5 -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800
- Ride: GA Project FC4 -> D&R Mic Amp -> Fostex AC2496
- HH: Shure SM7B -> D&R Mic Amp -> Fostex AC2496
- Stereo Ambience: Rode NT4 -> D&R Mic Amp -> MS Audiotron -> Fostex AC2496
- Mono Ambience: Shure SM57 -> MS Audiotron -> RME Fireface 800

Bass

- Yamaha Active Bass -> Mackie Onyx 800R Instrument Input

Guitars

- Guitars (LTD/Jackson w/ EMG) -> Mackie Onyx 800R Instrument Input
- TS808 -> Peavey 5150II -> 5150 Cab -> SM57/E606 -> Mackie Onyx 800R
- Preamp out

Solos
- Uraltone Modded Boss SD-1 -> Peavey 5150II -> 5150 Cab -> MD441 -> Mackie Onyx 800R

Vocals

Main -> Shure SM7B -> SPL Goldmike 9844 -> RME Fireface 800
Group -> AT4047 -> SPL Goldmike 9844 -> RME Fireface 800

MIXING NOTES

Drums

Lots of parallel compression. No samples used. See my methods.

Guitars

Over 90 % of the sound comes from Peavey's preamp out and GH's "Edge Sneap" impulse. I also blended some Rocktron Zombie Rectified/impulse tracks to make it bigger.

Bass

All the distortion comes from TLs Saturated driver/Voxengo Boogex combination. I used Ampeg cab impulses.

Would be nice to hear just the guitars on their own to hear how they sound without the other instruments.

Did you double track them?

Sounds AWESOME I reckon.

Could you explain a little more about the compression used on the drums too?

Love that scream at 03:40 too!

Man, those guitars sound great. Also, I don't think the kick is buried very much. It's very refreshing and "old" sounding. Nice job.

-Joe

Actually, the vocals sound like old Dead Horse. Great, great stuff, and I love the mix, the tones, the drums... NICE!

Sounds very good! What type of speakers are in your 5150 cab?

It's not my cab but the stock ones I guess. The mic tracks were very low on the mix. I hate 5150/6505 cab for recording! You just can't get a good rhythm tone out of it. Trust me. I have tried everything and two different cabs. It sounds good in the room though.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;6756601]Would be nice to hear just the guitars on their own to hear how they sound without the other instruments.

Did you double track them?[/quote]

Only two tracks of rhythm guitars.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;6756601]Could you explain a little more about the compression used on the drums too?[/quote]

I had three parallel compression groups/busses for drums: kick, snare and the whole kit. I am actually writing a guide on the topic with sound samples...

It's not my cab but the stock ones I guess. The mic tracks were very low on the mix. I hate 5150/6505 cab for recording! You just can't get a good rhythm tone out of it. Trust me. I have tried everything and two different cabs. It sounds good in the room though.

Only two tracks of rhythm guitars.

I had three parallel compression groups/busses for drums: kick, snare and the whole kit. I am actually writing a guide on the topic with sound samples...

Only 2 tracks of rhythm guitars? Wow man, sounds thick n heavy!

I find it very hard to distinguish which bands use the double tracking method and which bands don't.

Maybe there should be a thread noting bands that double track and bands that don't..?:lol:

I'm still wondering whether I should bother double tracking each guitar on my own album or not...

Look forward to the parallel compression guide!

Cheers:headbang:

Dude, freakin AWESOME job! I especially love that snare sound.

BTW, what is a DIY subkick? I know what a subkick is, but never heard of a do-it-yourself-one.

Ahh I see. I just googled it. Pretty cool, but what's the purpose for? Does it help pick up the lows better or something? Where do you mount it in relation to your kick drum?

Ahh I see. I just googled it. Pretty cool, but what's the purpose for? Does it help pick up the lows better or something? Where do you mount it in relation to your kick drum?

Just like this-
subkick_250.jpg

I think most people mix it in along with the mic'd/sampled kick until it sounds right