Another nooby question from me...

mburton21

Oct 7, 2009
Hello again, this question is regarding the swells produced by certain palm muted notes that seem to rise and take over the mix briefly and me being a noob, can't seem to get rid of effectively.

I believe they are around 120Hz since a large dip in that frequency basically gets rid of them; however this takes a lot of low end out of my guitars.

So what do you guys use if/when you encounter these annoying things?

Don`t worry about loosing your low end, let the bass take that region. Maybe raise a bit around 240 if you think you need more lows.

You didn't mention the specifics of your guitar tracks, but if you're mic'ing a cab I'd say try moving the mic first. You'd be amazed the difference it can make just moving it back half an inch.

Chances are it's just a strong resonance in the guitar though - mine has one around 140Hz. Multi-band compression is the best option, as it will only affect those frequencies, and only when they're too strong; EQ cuts are far more destructive as they affect everything. EQ should be used for shaping tone, NOT controlling dynamics issues - that's what compressors are for.

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys

Sorry that I forgot to mention all the specs and stuff, it's late here heh.

I used the Nordstrom off-axis mic technique on my 5150 /w bias mod and Marshall 1960A cab. Shure 58 on axis and 57 off. My guitar has a Seymour Duncan Blackout in it and I'm getting some killer tone, just had some trouble with those thumps now and again :p

Be careful with the multiband compressor.
Thin line 'tween heaven and hell with those :)
Im having a hard time with them at least. Maybe Im doing something wrong...

Finding the exact settings that work for the whole song can be very hard sometimes. It is usually easier and faster to fix it with EQ automation.

But if you end up with hundreds of automation curves on a single track, then there is something wrong with the recording. Mic placement, amp settings, the player etc.