Another studio- session...

Oct 29, 2008
Yeah, Øystein and me were in studio a few days last week.
We ate chinese (the norwegian rural version mind) had a few beer, watched some nonentertaining Friday- night telly up at Børge's and recorded quite a bit of guitar. The usual...
:kickass:
:headbang:
:OMG:

Sounds good, what's the Norwegian version of Chinese food like? I had the American version today and had some General Tso's Chicken, Chicken Teriyaki, Curry Chicken, Baked Shrimp, and Sweet and Sour Chicken. Wow, lots of chicken.:err:

i've recordeed vocals for two tracks so far..doing at least two more the upcoming weekend...it may seem a wicked way of working, but as I have small kids I just have the time to record som hour at each time. My girlfriend work during the weekends a lot and I have my daily job during the weeks...so:)

mr V

Yeah, Øystein and me were in studio a few days last week.
We ate chinese (the norwegian rural version mind) had a few beer, watched some nonentertaining Friday- night telly up at Børge's and recorded quite a bit of guitar. The usual...
:kickass:
:headbang:
:OMG:

Awesome! :headbang:

i've recordeed vocals for two tracks so far..doing at least two more the upcoming weekend...it may seem a wicked way of working, but as I have small kids I just have the time to record som hour at each time. My girlfriend work during the weekends a lot and I have my daily job during the weeks...so:)

mr V

That actually sounds quite cute :p . Great news anyhow, thanks! :kickass:

mr V
Good to hear, no wonder Borknagar's recording time takes a while, because you have a job.

Making music sounds like a really stressful job.

Making music isn't that stressful, but being a musician itself in todays world is stressful as a whole. At least for me its not easy. I work 50 hours a week, book and promote for my band, and write most of the tunes. Plus I'm mixing our first record. I can't imagine the added stress of parenting while doing all of that. Thats why I love and respect bands like Borknagar and Mr. V, they make great music while still working their asses off to make a living.

Maybe thats why giant mainstream acts tend to make crappy music, they don't have a good balance or work ethic like the underground groups do. :guh:

Making music isn't that stressful, but being a musician itself in todays world is stressful as a whole. At least for me its not easy. I work 50 hours a week, book and promote for my band, and write most of the tunes. Plus I'm mixing our first record. I can't imagine the added stress of parenting while doing all of that. Thats why I love and respect bands like Borknagar and Mr. V, they make great music while still working their asses off to make a living.

I understand that pretty well.

I have a bunch of projects, but also I have a lot of job on accounting (I have to travel 2 and half hours to do that) and teaching. I play guitars, bass, drums and do the clean vocals on 2 of them - obviously I compose everything - and in a couple more I do basses, acoustic guitars and 2nd vocals, composing like 50% of the entire stuff; plus, I play live like 4-5 times per month, so I'm usually very busy and sometimes tired as hell.

The hard times come when it's time to record-mix-master the whole shit and the job keeps equally demanding. A doom/folk band is currently recording their first demo on my home since a couple of weeks, so I have no time to rest...but it's very satisfying to do this kind of work.

The "borkendales" who live so far away from each other and do a lot more everyday than me, are just incredible and I admire them for that (specially Mr V who releases music like a machine :p)

Maybe thats why giant mainstream acts tend to make crappy music, they don't have a good balance or work ethic like the underground groups do. :guh:

When a band makes his living just for the music, it starts to make music just to keep earning money and it's no honest anymore. Coincidently, my favourite bands are/were the "studio-only" (or almost) kind like Arcturus, Ulver, Vintersorg, Borknagar, Solefald, Arckanum, etx... bands which don't release 1 album/live dvd per year and/or tour the whole time. I have nothing against that but I think those mostly studio bands are more honest with their music, I mean, their vision of music is -IMO- more artistic than some cash grabber bands who releases albums just cause they 'must' do it.

Hm, I'm in one project at the moment, and its mostly a drone/ambient black metal thing. So coming up with music isn't too hard, and should be easier when I finally get out of school (2 weeks till I graduate :D). The only hard thing for me is coming up with lyrics. But I try lol.

I understand that pretty well.

I have a bunch of projects, but also I have a lot of job on accounting (I have to travel 2 and half hours to do that) and teaching. I play guitars, bass, drums and do the clean vocals on 2 of them - obviously I compose everything - and in a couple more I do basses, acoustic guitars and 2nd vocals, composing like 50% of the entire stuff; plus, I play live like 4-5 times per month, so I'm usually very busy and sometimes tired as hell.

The hard times come when it's time to record-mix-master the whole shit and the job keeps equally demanding. A doom/folk band is currently recording their first demo on my home since a couple of weeks, so I have no time to rest...but it's very satisfying to do this kind of work.

The "borkendales" who live so far away from each other and do a lot more everyday than me, are just incredible and I admire them for that (specially Mr V who releases music like a machine :p)

When a band makes his living just for the music, it starts to make music just to keep earning money and it's no honest anymore. Coincidently, my favourite bands are/were the "studio-only" (or almost) kind like Arcturus, Ulver, Vintersorg, Borknagar, Solefald, Arckanum, etx... bands which don't release 1 album/live dvd per year and/or tour the whole time. I have nothing against that but I think those mostly studio bands are more honest with their music, I mean, their vision of music is -IMO- more artistic than some cash grabber bands who releases albums just cause they 'must' do it.

some guitar player said something really cool one time during an interview. something like

"if your in a band and your only goal is to get rich by doing it, then just stop because your not making music anymore and just polluting the air waves."

I love that. I wish I knew who it was who said that.

Wow, I work much less than that and I'm tired as hell :p .

You guys (Allfader and Bork too) are admirable, kudos to you.

I'm trying to release something with my friend, it's a slow process since I work and study (mostly the latter), and well the other guy doesn't have much time either :p . Hopefully this year we will have a MySpace page at least :) .

some guitar player said something really cool one time during an interview. something like

"if your in a band and your only goal is to get rich by doing it, then just stop because your not making music anymore and just polluting the air waves."

I love that. I wish I knew who it was who said that.

Ha, that's an awesome quote.

Hopefully you guys didn't drink too much... sometimes I swear Asgeir was a little drunk on some points in Empiricism...