ANTHRAX's SCOTT IAN: 'I Don't Care What People Think Of Me'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian recently spoke to Radio.com about his autobiography, "I'm The Man: The Story Of That Guy From Anthrax". You can now watch the chat below. A couple of excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).On writing his autobiography: Ian: "I feel it was the tough stuff, the hard stuff, the lean years of ANTHRAX was the most interesting things for me to be writing and be a part of. All the happy stuff and the triumphs and all that is great, but it was really digging into the tough stuff for me which really… 'Cause it was really keeping me… Like, 'We went through this shit. I can't even believe we went through this.' And I felt like this is really gonna engage people reading this book."On whether his book is a "tell-all" of sorts:Ian: "People are saying, 'You're really honest in it' — people who know the tales and who were part of the story. Some of them are even a little surprised at how honest I am. But I kind of felt like, if I'm not honest, then what's the point? I could just easily do a book of a whole bunch of fun stories, but that's kind of like what I do in my talking shows. I didn't want the book and that to be the same thing; they're two completely different [things}."On whether he is concerned that people's opinion of him will change after reading the book:Ian: "I don't care what people think of me. Whether that's called being thick-skinned or whatever it is, but I just don't give a shit. Of course I appreciate that fans all over the world love ANTHRAX — of course I love that — but at the same time, that doesn't change what I do with the band or with my book. It's just gonna be what I have to do.""I'm The Man: The Story Of That Guy From Anthrax" was released on October 14 via Da Capo Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.For "I'm The Man", Ian worked with Jon Wiederhorn, co-author of the books "Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History Of Metal" and "Ministry: The Lost Gospels According To Al Jourgensen". Wiederhorn is a senior writer at Revolver and a regular contributor to Guitar World, Noisey.com, eMusic.com, and Yahoo Music! He has also worked on staff at Rolling Stone, Guitar, Guitar.com, and MusicPlayer.com.
scottianbookcoverupdated_638.jpg

More...