Any ballad-rock fans here?

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Im into Opeth and harder stuff but I also love Pearl Jam and bands like that. I mean...Mikael Åkerfeldt sings very well. But he isnt close to Eddie Vedder or singers like Chris Cornell. I would like to hear Mike sing "Yellow Ledbetter".
Anyone heard "Daughter", "Black" or "Yellow Ledbetter"?
It doesnt get better than that...sorry Opeth.

Is it anybody else on this forum that likes them to?

I love Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Mad Season, Soungarden, Nirvana, etc. The whole scene from that period was excellent. Comparing those bands to Opeth is just not fair to them. I listen to those bands a lot, but Opeth just has so much more to offer. :)

Lovely guitar! I want that...

No, my name is not Gregg :)
I agree that Opeths music is more complex and last longer.
But theres no one that can sing so beautiful as Ed Vedder does...atleast I think so :)

Somebody said tone...what do you mean by that? His voice? (not very good at english)

There is one thats pretty close but absolutely not there...but I DONT like that band at all....creed.
They are creepy as hell!

When I first heard Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" back in 1991 I was like "Goddamn, this is bad-ass shit!!" and I got "Nevermind", "Bleach" and "Incesticide" on original casette, "In utero" taped over and "Unplugged" on cd. I also got Pearl Jam's "Verses" on orig. tape, but they all just take up room in my closet, as they never get played anymore. It's not that I think it's crap now, it just doesn't interest me anymore. If I should put any of it on, it would be the Pearl Jam tape or Nirvana's "Lounge act" off of "Nevermind". Although I don't listen to the record anymore, I still think it's a decent song!
Soundgarden is different. I have "Ultramega OK", "Badmotorfinger" & "Superunknown" and I still like them. I don't listen to "Ultra..." anymore, but the two others still get played, especially the best songs off of "Super...". As a whole grunge is something I listened to in the early 90's, but when the scene kind of died, so did my interest for it. Maybe my interest in the scene was kind of superficial, as I might not would have listened to it, had it not been for MTV and stuff, although I recall seeing "Outshined" by Soundgarden on MTV back in '91 or something (I think before I heard Nirvana) and liking it! A song like Soundgarden's "4th of July" is one of most dirty, but at the same time most beautiful things I've heard in rock/metal! Chris Cornell's voice is also really good on that song!
I borrowed Alice In Chains' "Dirt", but never really got that much into it, although I liked it. I still think "Would" is a good song, but it's questionable if I would listen to the record if I went out and bought it now.
It's of course a matter of taste, but Soundgarden had something that made me wanna listen to them for a long period of time. Nirvana & Pearl Jam I liked for a while, but then lost interest in them!

I love that old Seattle stuff.. I grew up on it.

Nirvana were my favourite band in the early nineties, along with Alice In Chains and Soundgarden. When I was a teenager I never really got into Pearl Jam. They were more of a chick band, as in the girls played PJ at our parties etc.

It's only in the last couple of years that I've recognised them for the incredible band that they are. Tracks like 'Jeremy', 'Black', and 'Animal' (it goes on and on) are some of the best ever written in my opinion.

I don't listen to that stuff anymore either.. I moved into metal long ago, but every now and then when I catch a Pear Jam track in a clothing store or on the radio I take the time to listen. It's great stuff.

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
Lovely guitar! I want that...

No, my name is not Gregg :)
I agree that Opeths music is more complex and last longer.
But theres no one that can sing so beautiful as Ed Vedder does...atleast I think so :)

Somebody said tone...what do you mean by that? His voice? (not very good at english)

There is one thats pretty close but absolutely not there...but I DONT like that band at all....creed.
They are creepy as hell!

Oh, ok I just know a dude named Gregg who is totally obsessed with Pearl Jam.

I think Eddy Vedders voice is only OK from a technical standpoint, but from a Spiritual one it's amazing, it just sounds so.... 'truthful.'