Any Cat Stevens fans?

When that little show was on about him on tv recently i watched it, and i was getting right into it and ive been meaning to download songs since. It almost inspired a thread on here about classic bands from that era that people may not notice so much.. because theres a few other great artists out there from around that time that id love to have an album or two of.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
When that little show was on about him on tv recently i watched it, and i was getting right into it and ive been meaning to download songs since. It almost inspired a thread on here about classic bands from that era that people may not notice so much.. because theres a few other great artists out there from around that time that id love to have an album or two of.

I'm quite fascinated by music from that era, but I'm still a newbie, and I wouldn't know where to start.

Though, I'm an obsessed Yes fan.

I have all their good albums. (pre 1982. =P)

except for their first one, which I can't find...

I used to listen to Cat Stevens - but there is so damn much good music out there, and new bands I find everyday, that the non-metal bands just seem to take a back seat with me.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

I sometimes need a break from metal. Well, not need, jus sometimes feel like a break.

I'll listen to an occassional non-metal song here and there - but it seems I'm still in discovery stage. Honestly - this search for new bands really did increase last April when I heard Opeth for the first time.

I was complacant in my listening habits for years - regurgitating the same music over and over. When I heard Opeth - I was amazed that I had missed such a band. So I began searching for music - afraid I would miss something else. So since then - Dimmu Borgir, Finntroll, Enslaved - to name only a few. I suppose I'll slow down and start putting on other stuff again - but I'm not there yet, and haven't felt a need or desire to calm my listening to just metal - I haven't had that "I need a break" feeling yet, although I know it will come.

i love cat stevens' music, and i gotta owe my dad for making me listen to him for the first time. i loved "wild world" and "cats in the cradle". great songs.

its a shame though he converted to islam, and now he's saying that "music is the work of the devil" or some shit like that. damn it!

and now he's saying that "music is the work of the devil" or some shit like that. damn it!
Well, from watching the show about him, this isnt the case. The media apparently rebelled against him because he made a few comments that didnt go down so well.. but seems like he just 'realised' what he was supposed to do with his life and so changed.. it didnt seem like he thought music was the work of the devil.
He even did a concert fairly recently to raise money or something like that (i believe)

so is that an actual quote or what?

I grew up listening to him. When I was about 11 or 12 I purchased Tea For The Tillerman, and I then end up getting Catch The Bull at Four, a greatest hits collection...and one more...can't remember....

i purchased these on 8-tracks! Damn, I'm old.

His music is cool.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Well, from watching the show about him, this isnt the case. The media apparently rebelled against him because he made a few comments that didnt go down so well.. but seems like he just 'realised' what he was supposed to do with his life and so changed.. it didnt seem like he thought music was the work of the devil.
He even did a concert fairly recently to raise money or something like that (i believe)

so is that an actual quote or what?

actually, i was more or less talking out of my ass, as usual. maybe its because i heard something like it from somewhere, so i just put it in. and no, its not an actual quote. but i hear he writes religious music now. can anyone tell me if its true?

I think he pretty much gave up music completely once he became a muslim. He released an album fairly recently that was all about some holy person from the muslim religion (cant remember which one!!) so yeh that was religious music. But thats it, that concert i mentioned was his first live performance in like 15 years or something rediculous like that, he just thought music was getting in the way of his uh serving god, so gave it up.

Never thought I'd see a Cat Stevens thread here! But I love it, it just shows that there are a lot of open minded people with a wide range of interests here (which I knew already, thats why I like this board.) I spent my college years in Arizona (1984-87)listening to Black Flag, TSOL, Christian Death, The Damned, and a LOT of Cat Stevens. Great late night (or early morning:loco: ) chill out and hang music. Favorite songs- the wind, oh very young, wild world, and TROUBLE!!! Got me through some rough times.