Any football fans in?

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
With the new season fast approaching.....and transfers coming thick and fast.....what's the prognosis for 2008-09?

Robbie Keane to Liverpool? Good move? I think it has the potential to be killer!

Crouch to Portsmouth......and....did I hear a rumour of Henry to Man Utd?

I don't see Henry going to Utd... he's lost his spark and to be honest Man Utd have options ahead of Henry. Keane for 18M is too much in my opinion, but it seems the whole market is grossly inflated at the moment. There is a lot of silly money being splashed around for players who will disappoint. I expect Newcastle and Tottenham to fail to impress as usual, and for the top four to be the same ... with Liverpool this time finishing above Arsenal due to Arsenal's policy of being a selling club that is struggling to find new talent and replace the old. I think Man Utd will unfortunately win the league again this year, with Chelsea a close 2nd once again. I can't see Scholari having enough of a difference in his first season to take the title, though 09/10 will be interesting if he is still there. Despite expectations, I fully expect Man City to fail hilariously as well, and I think for the first time in a very long time, all three promoted teams will go back down.

I support Blackburn so most of my focus has been on them... I expect us to finish in the lower half of the table this year, maybe 13th or 14th, but I don't think we'll be relegated.

Such a shame Bristol City didn't make it into the premier league for this season! Last season they broke into division 1 for the first time in... well a long time and then they very nearly went up again! Incredible, though they'd have got totally trashed in the premier league :lol:

My 2 clubs (Bristol City and Arsenal) have had an eventful time this pre-season, mostly for the wrong reasons

City signed an Egyptian forward and then cancelled the contract for multiple reasons (the main one being he played against City's wishes in a game for his old club) and now the collapse of the Mifsud transfer (which sounds like its down to the player and his agent trying to change the contract at the last moment). Glad as a team that they're standing by their guns, but think we need to get someone in to improve on last season's marvellous finish

As for Arsenal, the players who left no longer wanted to play for the club, so at least someone else can pay their wages (and also how many players have left Arsenal after playing well there to perform well at their next clubs?). Would like to see a couple more signings, but as with City, they've got a solid wage structure in place which unfortunately makes it difficult to sign the bigger names. However, if we avoid the injury scenario that hit us when we were going well then I can't see why we can't challenge for the title

As for Arsenal, the players who left no longer wanted to play for the club, so at least someone else can pay their wages (and also how many players have left Arsenal after playing well there to perform well at their next clubs?). Would like to see a couple more signings, but as with City, they've got a solid wage structure in place which unfortunately makes it difficult to sign the bigger names. However, if we avoid the injury scenario that hit us when we were going well then I can't see why we can't challenge for the title

To be honest mate, whilst I think Arsenal have the potential to put together a decent challenge, I don't think their current squad is better than Manchestah Utd or even Chelsea's. I think, unfortunately, it'll be between those two for the title, and Liverpool/Arsenal for 3rd and 4th, though I'd love to be proven wrong, cos that'd be bloody boring.

Would make a pleasant change if someone other than UTD and Chelski were battling it out for the title. If Liverpool can't win it...and I'd love to see a "suprise" winner.....but we all know it's nigh on impossible for anyone outside the usual 4 to challenge over a whole season.

Born in in Essex, live in Bristol... So naturally I support Man U. :headbang:

Time for Cristiano to depart methinks. Be really odd if Thierry turned up in a Man U shirt...

Don't see Henry joining Man Utd, his heart is still very much got a part of Arsenal in it

As for title chances, part of it will come down to luck. For instance, Man Utd would have struggled to win the league last season if Ronaldo had been injured. Admittedly not many clubs would have scored past them, but I think they would have been lacking in the goals department due to the number of times his goals were the difference between winning and drawing. They might have had someone to take his place but would they have had the same influence?

I enjoy watching the superbowl when it comes on, but otherwise I don't follow NFL. I watch real football :D

watch the occasional bit of US sport on tv (on so late at night I normally fall asleep when its on). Mainly baseball but the odd bit of ice hockey, and stayed up all night to watch Superbowl. Sorta follow Cleveland Browns, ever since I got signed by them in Madden07's Superstar mode on Wii (least I can't be accused of glory hunting)

I enjoy watching the superbowl when it comes on, but otherwise I don't follow NFL. I watch real football :D

doing-it-wrong.jpg

it sucks having to see Villas barry go to liverpool :(

The whole Barry saga is just boring now. O'neil is shitting himself now though that they aren't going to be able to shift him. The reason Liverpool aren't offering £18mil is because they don't think he's worth that, and really, they're right. Glad Keane has signed though!

Shocking!! No one have mentioned Stoke City yet:p

I've been a Potters supporter since 73...and today i've been having the best days in a long time. Stoke's first win ever in Premier league and with a smashing "robbery" goal in injury time. Can footie get any better ? :heh: