Any love for Heavens Gate?

SickBoy

Croatian Panzer division
Apr 9, 2004
Split, Croatia, Europe
www.myspace.com
heavensgatelogoor7.gif

heavensgatephotoyh8.jpg

I've been overdosing on these guys for the last few days and still can't get enough of them! :worship:
Search revealed there wasn't a topic about them on UMOS...EVER! It was about time someone rectified such an injustice... :lol:

For those unfamiliar with the band, they were a part of the German power metal wave in late 80s/early 90s. Not as known as other bands involved (like Helloween, Grave Digger etc.), but not a tiny bit less worthy of a praise, they've released 5 studio, 1 live album and 3 EPs during their career spanning 1989-1999. First 3 albums are the most straightforward ones, I suppose anyone enjoying the genre and the bands I associated them with will be more than pleased!
On 1996's "Planet E." they incorporated clever progressive influences, more in vein of Queensryche than Dream Theaterish wankery and IMO that's their best release. The last album "Menergy" was a concept of some sort, with interludes called "Teleshoot" between all regular songs.

The name of their guitarist, Sascha Paeth, should ring many bells, since he's a respected producer with credits including Rhapsody and Angra. Thomas Rettke was rarely seen since the last HG album, apart from several guest appearances (Avantasia, Aina) graced by his distinctive vocals, until 2006. when he released "Rage Of Fire" with RedKey, a new band including Paeth!

What can I say except - those of you unfamiliar with HG, listen to them and enjoy some terrific and witty songwriting and musicianship!
Those of you familiar with them, give them a spin, I'm sure you've missed them ;)

Recommended songs: Under Fire, In Control, Can't Stop Rockin', Livin' In Hysteria, Terminated World, On The Edge, Enter: Eternity, Menergy and many many more...

When you're done with your homework I expect some posting here ;)

NP: HEAVENS GATE - Planet Earth

Heavens Gate is one of the most underrated bands ever. Rettke's vocals were great and the band even if categorized as Europower metal to me they transcended that tag, expecially if you check the way they matured from "In Control" to "Menergy" and let's not forget "In The Mood" the whole unplugged album where they retook some of their finest moments on acoustic.

My favorite songs are: 'In Control', 'Tyrants', 'Path of Glory', Livin' In Hysteria, 'The Never Ending Fire', 'Under Fire', He's the Man, 'Rising Sun', 'Planet Earth', Noah's Dream, 'Breaking Loose', 'Glass People', but basically the whole discography does it for me.

I was pretty sadden when they split but I folllowed them into Aina and even the solo Luca Turilli albums and also the Paeth/Matos project Virgo.

Thanks for the hint on RedKey I´ll check for it.

Completely off my radar as well. Of course I know Sascha, he showed up in my living room just last week (granted, it was only for one guitar solo toward the end of my Kamelot DVD). But as a producer he is one of the best IMO.

Think I'll test out Amazon's new cheap download option...

I bought one song off Amazon for 89 cents. It's a ten minute medley of In Control/Livin' in Hysteria/Gate of Heaven/Hell for Sale. But it's a weird acoustic version of the songs with sort of a reggae beat. It's cool, but it's not metal. I guess I downloaded the wrong song (ten minutes for 89 cents seemed appealing).

It's great music I recommend Livin' In Hysteria for beginners, if you dig that one the rest are better.