Any recommendations for a decent quality guitar cable for tracking direct into DAW?

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
I often experience a bit of hum/noise when I plug direct into my Firepod to record guitars. The hum gets louder the closer I am to my PC tower.

I always make sure my CRT monitor is OFF too otherwise I get interference from that as well (wierd click track interference phenomenon).

It's not too bad, but I always like to get the cleanest DI recorded sound I can for possible re-amping in future (the noise is only noticable when I'm not actually playing anything and I'm plugged monitoring via an amp sim cranked up).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent make of guitar cable that is sheilded against interference & noise?

I'm currently using a pretty cheap VENOM "Mamba" cable LOL:oops:

Cheers dudes!

P.S. I live in the U.K.

i like my planet waves custom series cables. I've been using them for over 2 years without a problem and I never had any problem with hum. They are pretty expensive though, but worth every cent

It definitely helps to have good cabling, but the coils in your pickups are probably much more susceptible to noise than the cable itself. Someone (JBroll) correct me if I'm wrong about that. :p

It definitely helps to have good cabling, but the coils in your pickups are probably much more susceptible to noise than the cable itself. Someone (JBroll) correct me if I'm wrong about that. :p

That makes sense, I wondered about that actually.

The noise louder when the actual guitar is near the PC. I use a JB pickup.

Is there any way around this? Or is it not worth worrying about really?

Thanks for the help everyone - I think I'll buy a better guitar lead just to make sure all is in top shape.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7186549]That makes sense, I wondered about that actually.

The noise louder when the actual guitar is near the PC. I use a JB pickup.

Is there any way around this? Or is it not worth worrying about really?

Thanks for the help everyone - I think I'll buy a better guitar lead just to make sure all is in top shape.[/quote]

EMGs. :p

I do get some noise with EMGs, but my house is wired really really poorly, and it's way better than it was with passive pickups. I can usually face my guitar in a certain direction and the noise will disappear.

Not unless the noise is coming from the player.
Unless you are referring to boosted and/or eq circuit then you are fighting increased noise through boosted gain levels and eq spikes.
Overall they'd be quieter in a stock mode in elimination of RF even with the Live Wires series.

Matter of preference, I like em for some things and on the whole they serve a niche which has some tradeoff. (IMO)

Award Session make really nice cables, they're just Klotz cabling with Neutrik connectors= done deal. Much cheaper than the competition too. I think I got a 3m version for under £10.