Any thoughts on Ulver

Soul Forlorn

May 15, 2001
Illinois, USA
geocities.com
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if any of you could share some thoughts on any of the Ulver albums. I'm thinking of buying some of their cd's and am wondering which ones would be the best picks. I've heard some songs off of Kveldsjanger and really enjoyed them. I am aware some of their other releases are way more in the black metal style, but I would probably like those as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Ulver are one of my favorite bands. The album Bergtatt rules, It's only 5 songs that last 35 minutes about, but do those 35 minutes leave a lasting impression on you. The lyrics are completely in Norwegian and Garm sings more in a Monkish type voice with some grim bm vocals. It has a perfect mix of brutality and beauty. "I Troldskog Faren Vild" is one of my favorite songs.

Kveldsjanger is probably my favorite album very folkish and slow. I love these types of albums, good for relaxing after a hard day.

Nattens Madrigal was a complete shock for me when I first heard it. That was the biggest genre switch I have ever seen this album is complete chaotic black metal. Although the album sounds so raw if you really pay attention to it (like most Opeth fans would) you can really hear that there is a ton of melody to this album. Although it's very hard to hear the drums on it. A classic none the less.

"Themes....." is an album lots of people don't like. I think it's fantastic, lots of electronics on this album.

Perdition City has way to little of Garms voice so my least favorite album so far by this band. Nice jazzy feel to it though.

Anyway I would say say get the albums in this order

1. Kveldsjanger
2. Bergtatt
3. Themes....
4. Nattens Madrigal
5.Perdition City

I love Ulver. they are very talented and Garm is one of my favorite vocalists out there. bergtatt and themes are my favorite. kveldsjanger is also very good. perdition city is electronic and mostly instrumental. the jury is still out on that one. i don't have nattens madrigal, but need to get it. Bergtatt is simply amazing.

if you like Garms singing, check out the first two borknagar albums as wella s both arcturus albums. arcturus are the shit.

Yes Borknagar and Arcturus kick major ass. Thats so cool that Vintersorg is in Borknagar now, what a great album this new one shall prove to be.

The three first ones seem to be pretty well covered, so I'll just add a little something about the later stuff.

Themes from William Blake's 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell'
Perdition City - Music to an Inferior Film

These aren't very metal, but I don't mind that at all. As I've said before, insanity is what I like best in music, and these two certainly contain a lot of that. Themes has more heavy stuff, perhaps a bit industrial, while Perdition City is a lot more jazzy, and both are good examples of superb musicianship.

And no, I don't like classifying music, but for the sake of public enlightenment I make exceptions.

Dfinitely an interesting band. Garm seems to make magic of anything he touches. Themes is my favorite album of all time, and I'm still waiting on the new one!

I have a question about a band called "Yearning" I have heard good things about them and can't find any mp3's to check them out. Anyone heard this band? If so are they worth $10 for a cd?

winter-frost,
I 've listened to one of their albums. Thought that is was OK, but not worth buying. Not that the music was bad, it just didn't catch my interest. Oh well... maybe I didn't give it enough time. I wouldn't buy it for $10 without listening to some songs before.