any tips on this mix?

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
ok so i am new to mixing and im recording one of my friends bands and trying to learn about the mixing process as i go, i replaced the kick and snare with superior drummer samples and the guitars are going through guitar rig 3. i know not the most ideal setup but im trying to help these guys out with what gear i do have.

ive been learning alot and im trying to put it into use any help would be apreciated,

heres a clip of the project.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=980812&songID=9330409

Guitars and kick could come up a bit in volume and, at least during that clean part in the beginning, the bass is too loud, but it could probably be quieter in the whole mix and could use a little more bottom end. Try boosting between 60-80 hz. I dig the relatively natural/loose feel this mix has, but I think the snare could be thicker and roomier. Try boosting some lower mids on the snare, maybe between 250-300 hz, and add a little more reverb. This song has a deftones kind of feel imo and you're definitely heading in the right direction.

thank you very much man i will get on it as soon as i can and post a revised version any tips on how to get the volume of the kick to come up, ive got it near peaking and its still just too weak.

thank you very much man i will get on it as soon as i can and post a revised version any tips on how to get the volume of the kick to come up, ive got it near peaking and its still just too weak.

turn everything else down.

IMO if parts of the mix are peaking or almost peaking and it's still weak, it's a sign that your mix is running too hot as it is...IMHO.

I usually have my kick fader around -4 to -7dB and then the drum buss at around -6 to -8 dB with the whole mix PEAKING at around -6dB.

but even I when solo the kick it just feels week, which is confusing to me because its just the superior drummer sample, any ideas? maybe some parallel compression?

I still think the bass is a little too loud, but other then that the whole mix sounds a lot better! I think the distorted guitars could use a little more presence. Try boosting somewhere between 6-10 khz. Find the sweet spot that doesn't add too much fizzyness but brightens them up. Good work though!

off to work right now but ill try that out tonight and post some clips tomorrow thanks alot by the way!

last mix sounds good, but I'd still add some more high mids and highs to the guitars...Maybe a bit more high mids than highs. The thickness sounds good during the chorus, but the part leading up to the chorus (the verse or prechorus or whatever it was) sounded too muffle IMO.

Drums aren't my taste, are they natural? I'd supplement with better sounding samples. As it stands now, it sounds inconsistent. Like polished vocals, good guitars and bass and just decent drums. Makes things sound "unglued" for lack of a better term.

cool ill try some other samples, and the guitars are all guitar rig 3, i really cant stand that program lately i wish owned an axe fx or could just mic up my rig :bah:

any setting tips for guitar rig 3? in the mean time ill try some more mids and highs on the guitars

thanks guys,