Any UK ppl bought a guitar from the US?

Caroline

METALBABE!
Apr 18, 2001
Was just wondering how much shipping usually is as they don't generally give international shipping rates on the websites.

Guitars seem to be so much cheaper in the US, just don't want to loose the savings with shipping and customs tax etc..

Usually, you'll have to pay imort taxes and such...

But if you're going for USA Jacksons, USA BCRich and other stuff, it's cheaper to buy it and pay import duties, than to order from a local dealer.

Import duties and value-added-taxes seem to total from 15-25% the cost of the item.

You should be able to save 15-20% or more off what a European dealer sells their stock for.

I've got friends in Germany, England and Austrialia, and they save lots of money doing it this way.

You'll get hit for import tax and shipping charges. Shipping on a Universe I bought from the states was about 100£ or thereabouts (might have been less, I don't remember) but the actual import duty will be 17-20% of the INSURED VALUE of the guitar when it comes in. After all this, you may be better off flying over and getting it yourself for a bit extra. Apart from that, it can work out a lot cheaper.

Caroline,

That's a nice guitar, and the price is good, with free shipping, but that wouldn't be to any foreign country, I assume.

My friend Matt has them for $479 with a free hard case (about $80 street price). Better deal than free shipping, which you probably wouldn't get from the other place...

http://www.onlinestagegear.com/pages-guitars/DKMGT.html

He posts regulalry and is the sponsor on the Official Jackson Guitar Forum. If you go there and ask, he's got the best prices and he does a lot of foriegn sales too, so he'd probably be able to tell you how much your final price would be.

Either way, buying it from a US retailer and having it shipped to you would save considerable money from buying in the UK.