Any Watain fans here?

Vivören

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2008
Dans une meilleure maison que vous
No, it's not off-topic.

I've been listening to their latest album Sworn To The Dark compulsively lately, and I can't shake the feeling that track #8, The Serpent's Chalice sounds an awful lot like early Opeth. Almost identical to my ears.

Mid-paced death/black metal with a lot of ups and downs, the same of riffs Mike writes, and it even has a melodic outro that reminds me of Morningrise. The only thing missing is Mike's voice.

Anyone else notice this?

Sorry, saw them alive. They sucked. Not interesting for me at least. Besides they threw inner organs of some animals on the crowd. It was smelling like shit.

Actually, they are playing tonight where I live and I almost went to see them, but ended up not having anyone to go with and didn't want to spend all the money, plus I have to work tomorrow, etc... hadn't heard them until yesterday when I checked them out on YouTube. Pretty good for BM though (I don't like much BM). I think it was a good choice to stay home though because I wouldn't want animal organs thrown at me unless maybe I was with some friends and really drunk, then it might be fun.

yeah, great band, don't see that connection with opeth though :) ... but definitely an amazing band, if they continue with their build up then they could become as big a name in that scene as emperor is i think.

They have gotten a lot of good reviews lately. Seems like one of those bands where you have to listen to the whole album (not just myspace clips) to "get" it.

I had been told they were a bm band with Opeth influences, so I checked them out. They aren't bad, I definitely hear early Opeth influence. I liked Casus Luciferi, haven't had a chance to check out Sworn to the Dark yet.

There main influence is Dissection. They are pretty much carrying the torch with that style.

Let's hope they don't commit suicide after their third album, deciding their life's work is complete (and then that album turns out to kind of blow). No, sorry, that's mean.

Let's hope they don't commit suicide after their third album, deciding their life's work is complete (and then that album turns out to kind of blow). No, sorry, that's mean.

Sworn to the Dark already is their third album, and no doubt their best by far ... the first two are nice as well, but you can sense they were growing, on this third album you can really tell that they are on the way to something huge! that is if they don't screw up now :kickass:

rofl watain are awesome but they have NOTHING in common with opeth musically. good lord.

but i doubt very much that watain has actual opeth influences ... maybe because of the variety of opeth it seems like so many bands have similar moments, but don't think watain would consider them an influence at all.