Anybody else collect vinyls?

Vegetaman

Jagdpanzer
Mar 4, 2006
Illinois (Bradley University)
I do... I've been collecting for a few years now (and I know I drive Pate nuts when I make him wait so I can flip through the giant bins of them for half an hour or more when we go to Recycled Records), and I do have a few pretty cool ones.

~ Black Sabbath - Live Evil Gatefold LP (the coverart and inner art is just badass)
~ Iron Maiden - Live After Death Gatefold LP (again with inner art; but also has a booklet inside)
~ Testament - The New Order
~ Black Sabbath - Headless Cross [only good because it is unopened]
~ Black Sabbath - Never Say Die {only funny to me because it has a giant sticker on it that says "SEALED FOR YOUR PROTECTION" :lol: }
~ Black Sabbath - Born Again (this cover is wicked evil looking)
~ Ozzy Osbourne Live EP (the only semi-rare thingy in my collection)
~ Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King (sounds SO GOOD)

There are a few albums that elude my purchasing though, as I can never seem to find them anywhere...

~ Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
~ Testament - The Legacy
~ Black Sabbath - Seventh Star
~ Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll
~ Dio - Intermission

How about you guys? Any of you collect? :headbang:

I collect SST Records stuff (thanks Jason for the somewhat rare Black Flag tapes!)... have two copies of the Saint Vitus s/t on vinyl. And a bunch more. Also have Ulver's "Blood Inside" in blood red.

*waits for Jasonic to come and pwn you all*

:lol:
Well, I USED to have well over 1000 records (12", 7", 10", and 5")
These were primarily punk though.

Thanks to eBay inflating the hell out of the value of these, most have been sold.

I was a complete junkie. For favorite bands of mine, I would have to obtain EVERY color vinyl of every release. It was sick.

As time went on, CDs started becoming just as collectible, with box sets, limited versions, imports, etc., esp for metal. I had to force myself to stay away from vinyl as I was already spending too much on CDs.

Growing up I had a few select metal vinyls, though primarily had tapes.

Currently, the only rare metal vinyl I own is the Laceration - Ripping Avulsion 7".

Vegetaman - I bought Seventh Star on vinyl the week it came out! I remember how lame I thought it was marketed, as "Featuring Tony Iommi" He wanted it to be a solo album, but the label wanted it to be a Sabbath album.

:lol:
Vegetaman - I bought Seventh Star on vinyl the week it came out! I remember how lame I thought it was marketed, as "Featuring Tony Iommi" He wanted it to be a solo album, but the label wanted it to be a Sabbath album.

Indeed, I love hearing about how the record company pushed them into that.

In fact, I think on my The Black Sabbath Story Volume 2 DVD Geoff Nichols talks about all the external pressures on the band at that time (as well as making it "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi") and the Ray Gillen finishing out the Seventh Star tour and leaving so they get Tony Martin in at the last minute to do The Eternal Idol.

By the by... You don't happen to still have that, do you!? :OMG:

I also collect bootlegs and demos of Black Sabbath and Dio shows and recordings, as well as bonus tracks. I have a few really cool bootlegs and demos (I have the 4 disc Dehumanizer Reincarned Demos Set, plus Cozy Powell's Demos, and 8th Star, and some Tony Martin era stuff). I found somebody who had the Ray Gillen Eternal Idol demos, but never could get my hands on them... And some pretty good bootlegs too, my favorites being Boston 92 (one of the last shows with Ronnie) and Born In Hell '83 (where they cover Smoke on the Water and Iommi does one hell of a guitar solo), and Angel & Demon [which has one of the few recorded versions of Ronnie singing Sweet Leaf]. I also have a pretty good bootleg video of Dio from the Killing The Dragon tour with Craig Goldy where they perform Neon Knights as a show closer and it completely destroys. :headbang:

Sigh, this thread makes me sad. I used to have hundreds of vinyl records mixed between metal (including the Sabbath records mentioned above, and even an old NEMS pressing of Live at Last) and rock. There was nothing like opening up Maiden's Live After Death double LP and seeing the photos on the cover and in the booklet.

Then several years ago, we came home after a weekend trip to discover that our basement had flooded. My records sat in an inch or so of water for over a day. Many of the discs themselves were salvageable, but the covers were ruined from all the water wicking up into them. And the covers are almost the whole reason to have them, saving vinyl discs in plastic sleeves with no covers is silly.

So most of the records have been recorded over to CDRs and tossed.

:cry:

Ken

Ken,
That is a sad tale indeed...........
Yeah, nothing beats the feeling of remembering opening the gatefold of "The Wall" or "Dark Side of the Moon" for the first time.

My earliest vinyl recollection was my older brother's copy of KISS ALIVE II.

You don't get the true feeling for an album like that on tape or CD.

Sigh, this thread makes me sad. I used to have hundreds of vinyl records mixed between metal (including the Sabbath records mentioned above, and even an old NEMS pressing of Live at Last) and rock. There was nothing like opening up Maiden's Live After Death double LP and seeing the photos on the cover and in the booklet.

Then several years ago, we came home after a weekend trip to discover that our basement had flooded. My records sat in an inch or so of water for over a day. Many of the discs themselves were salvageable, but the covers were ruined from all the water wicking up into them. And the covers are almost the whole reason to have them, saving vinyl discs in plastic sleeves with no covers is silly.

So most of the records have been recorded over to CDRs and tossed.

:cry:

Ken

ah, dude, that blows massively, i hate hearing stuff like this...especially
hearing about your Live After Death album! :) i'm some pretty cool
vinyls, some Maiden pic discs/singles, imports and various standard
metal/rock albums....i still love the look/feel/sound of albums, what
a great period that was growing up!

You're welcome for that. :p

I didn't get it from you, I got it mailed to me via snail mail back in 2004. It's a remastered copy with it's own intro and everything and a much higher quality rip. The only one I got from you that I didn't have was the Ozzfest Bootleg from 2005 with Rob Halford. I also have a bootleg DVD of Sabbath performing with Ronnie in 1992. :heh:

And holy crap that sucks Metalprof! The Live After Death gatefold is awesome, that picture book inside of it is just cool. I really wish that Sabbath had done something similar to that with Live Evil. I have some strange Iron Maiden single or something with Eddie playing some sort of organ that was probably from the mid-80s but I've never been able to figure out what it was.

I completely forgot about the cool program that came with the gatefold Live After Death. That was awesome!

Lots of the original pressings of KISS vinyls came with goodies, like the snapping "Love Gun", or cartoon posters with the solo albums, etc. My vinyl copy of their DYNASTY album came with a HUGE poster that was on my bedroom wall for many many years.

Great, is this thread going to turn me back into a vinyl junkine again? Thanks Vegetaman, you fucker!!! :)

Great, is this thread going to turn me back into a vinyl junkine again? Thanks Vegetaman, you fucker!!! :)

Anytime, man. :lol: :kickass:

I normally only shop for them every couple of months. Probably once every 6 months I wander into a store that sells them and pan through them for about an hour and pick out about $20 - $40 worth. If you're lucky, you can get them for $2-$5 in really good shape. I bought the unopened copy of Headless Cross for $8, I believe.

damn, i'm gettin' the vinyl itch again myself....maybe it'll go
away while i'm away the next few days...:lol: the last time
i went on a hunt, it was a blast, kinda like looking for the
pot of gold in a mire of doodie....:lol:

damn, i'm gettin' the vinyl itch again myself....maybe it'll go
away while i'm away the next few days...:lol: the last time
i went on a hunt, it was a blast, kinda like looking for the
pot of gold in a mire of doodie....:lol:

Indeed. There's a few nuggets of gold amongst the heap of plastic and artsy sleeves.

In fact, I'd like to find a lot of those rare Sabbath tracks on vinyl, if I could... Anybody else notice that a lot of unreleased Sabbath stuff is really good? Like "The Fallen" off of Born Again, or "Cloak & Dagger" off of Headless Cross? Or that one song they were working on for Dehumanizer, I think it was called "Bad Blood", or when they played "Scary Dreams" live at Ozzfest in 2002 or so...

I'm just rambling now... I need to go find some new bootlegs or go out vinyl searching now.

*checks wallet*

Maybe not. :erk:

The secret is knowing where to look.
Unfortunately, most of the Used CD / Vinyl stores in the burbs have closed.
There used to be a great one in Des Plaines on Milwaukee called Record Surplus.
It was great, because most punk/metal/etc stuff stayed there forever, as opposed to equivalent stuff at places like Reckless in the city that would be sold the day it hit the store floor.

eBay became the Red Light District for vinyl junkies, as now nothing is TOO rare, and can be had at a price.

Also, one of the best places to score metal vinyl for cheap is at flea markets. There is always some older metalhead selling off his old t shirts, tapes, records, etc.

The secret is knowing where to look.
Unfortunately, most of the Used CD / Vinyl stores in the burbs have closed.
There used to be a great one in Des Plaines on Milwaukee called Record Surplus.
It was great, because most punk/metal/etc stuff stayed there forever, as opposed to equivalent stuff at places like Reckless in the city that would be sold the day it hit the store floor.

eBay became the Red Light District for vinyl junkies, as now nothing is TOO rare, and can be had at a price.

Also, one of the best places to score metal vinyl for cheap is at flea markets. There is always some older metalhead selling off his old t shirts, tapes, records, etc.

Indeed, I'm going to a flea market this weekend, maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent vinyl or two. :headbang:

I will be getting married (again) in November and will have to move out of my house, which means paring down the vinyl collection that I hardly ever dip into anymore, most likely anything that I eventually got again on CD. If I run into anything interesting, I let this forum know before the garage sale comes along. I believe I fit the "old metalhead selling off his stuff" description...