Anyone else tried Autotune 7?

Ben Johnson

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jan 17, 2006
Chicago
I'm a long-time Melodyne user, and after several months of putting up with the digital jaggedness it imparts on anything I run through it (mainly vocals, actually - bass DIs don't seem to be affected, especially after reamping), I decided to give Autotune a try. It seems to be way more transparent, even on gruff singing, on which Melodyne usually fell short.

Is it worth getting 7 over Evo? I guess 7 has some formant tools that are probably useless. But 7 is newer, so it might have improved algorithms.

I have Evo and 7 (Pitch+Time).
great plugin...I feel the newer version has a tiny bit more artifacts on some stuff (trumpets) than Evo.
both are bettr than melodyne for sure!

From the way that Antares was marketing and hyping 7, the whole focus seemed to be on the new time-shifting capabilities, and not on any kind of improved algorithms or tuning engine. I don't recall any talk at all about improvements to the classic features when they announced it, but I could be wrong...

I have EVO and it works out just fine for me, and I could care less about the new time-shifting stuff.