Anyone fans of Dethklok/Metalocalypse?

How is that an insult?

So if you poured your heart and soul into a work of art it wouldn't irritate you in the slightest if a collection of cartoons outsold your work by a high multiple by merely making fun of said work in the most juvenile ways?

Great show... the music works great within the show's context as 'spoof' metal but honestly I find little merit in it outside of that context.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know jackshit about melodeath (or any extreme metal, honestly, except from an anthropological perspective), but I rather enjoyed the first Dethalbum; it was actually kind of catchy.

The second one I'm disappointed with. A lot more grinding and a lot less of anything interesting. The concepts of the songs have take a hit, too. I think Brendon Small is trying to be a musician dabbling in humor, instead of a humorist dabbling in music, which is how it should be.

I like the show quite a bit, but I've never listened to any of the albums. I do agree though that anyone who thinks The Brendon Small Band (which is what Dethklok should be called outside of the show) is a great death metal band is a raging faggot.

When listened to outside of the show the music is terrible, but I don't listen to it outside of the show so that's cool.

The first season was moderately funny at times; the second season removed everything that was metal about the show except for the basic premise. I don't want to seem like I'm whining because it's not metal; it's a show about metal, it should absolutely pander to metal fans while having enough jokes everyone can get to keep a decent audience. At the very least there should be a lot of in-jokes, but these just manifest as incredibly unsubtle place names; "Carpathian Forest High School," "Dimmu Burgers," "Fintroll's Market," and a couple others like that. Also, the voices for Pickles and Murderface are fucking unbearable.

And yet I have watched the first two seasons...so I guess the show must be alright.

I'll agree with the people saying the show has some amusing moments, but overall it's not very entertaining.

As for the band, absolutely agree with the people who say it sucks, people who think its great are faggots, etc etc. I don't care if you want to listen to it, but it is by no means great death metal.

To me it's not really metal at all. It's completely cartoonish (fittingly enough). It's got the elements of melodic death metal (chug-chug, harmonized weedlies, deedly-deedly-dee), but it feels utterly watered down. It just lacks any aggression whatsoever. Also, the vocals are just Fisher talking quietly in a deep voice. I think it's a production decision to make drop-tuned guitars tolerable to a wide audience and in that respect it's a good call, but I hate having to explain to people how that music is not metal even though it is.

So if you poured your heart and soul into a work of art it wouldn't irritate you in the slightest if a collection of cartoons outsold your work by a high multiple by merely making fun of said work in the most juvenile ways?

If it's from the heart and soul and is true art then money/sales has nothing to do with it.

As for making fun of said work, If the work is true art it is made for yourself and why care about what anyone else has to say about it?

IMO made for yourself = art while made for others = product.
If you're selling a product you're no different than some retail store.

Unless you're making music in hopes of becoming popular and making money I see no reason to be offended at the fact that some cartoon show is selling more albums.

Also, the vocals are just Fisher talking quietly in a deep voice.

--er, you mean Small? Small does Dethklok's vocals. Fisher is just a guest voice (and a huge fan, he wears Dethklok shirts all the time).

In any case, I saw the live show (twice, actually) and was pretty sure Small wasn't just whispering into an amplified mic. I think he's just not a very good growler. But I know nothing about growling, anyway.

Dethklok, rather like CoB, is just basically death metal for people who don't like death metal (e.g., me.) I enjoy the (first) album for what it is.