Anyone into Lovecraft?

HPL is my favorite writer of all time, his stories fascinate me. I've read everything he's ever written that I can get my hands on. Such an amazing, mesmerizing storyteller. Favorite works include: "The Haunter of the Dark", "Arthur Jermyn", "The Rats In the Walls", and many more.

His writings have a similar affect on me as Opeth's music does; haunting, invigorating perfection.

If H.P. Lovecraft were alive today, he would almost certainly be an Opeth fan!

I went through a faze about 6 yrs ago when I went through all the Lovecraft I could get a hold of, but I haven't had time to read any in years. I did love his writing (from what I remember), but some of the stories began to get a little formulaic after I'd read so many...

I read and enjoyed The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath. I just recently recieved a collection of his short stories that I will begin to read when I am finished with Crime and Punishment. So, yes he kicks ass....

Originally posted by svenske kocken
Yes, his stories are amazing. My favorite is easily Color Beyond Space.

The Colour From Out Of Space. Lovecraft is my favorite horror author. An unofficial best list:

The Shadow Out Of Time
The Rats In The Walls
The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward
At The Mountains Of Madness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dreams In The Witch House
The Horror At Red Hook
The Nameless City
Through The Gates Of The Silver Key (and the other Randoplh Carter stories)
the entire Dream Cycle

Originally posted by Demonspell

The Colour From Out Of Space. Lovecraft is my favorite horror author. An unofficial best list:

The Shadow Out Of Time
The Rats In The Walls
The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward
At The Mountains Of Madness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dreams In The Witch House
The Horror At Red Hook
The Nameless City
Through The Gates Of The Silver Key (and the other Randoplh Carter stories)
the entire Dream Cycle

you forgot The White Ship, Celephais, The Haunter of the Dark and (last but certainly not least) The Quest of Iranon :)

Absolutely! My fave author by far!
I also made a Lovecraft website a few years ago, BUT it's in
Norwegian... if u understand the language you can visit it here:
Lovecraft

:Smokedev:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Lovecraft but haven't read anything by him as of yet. Is there a certain book or collection of stories that you guys might recommend buying first?

I started out with the Omnibus 1, 2 and 3 collection. The first
story I read was 'At The Mountains Of Madness', and I was
hooked. That story is relatively long, so I have been
recommending shorter stories like The Outsider, Pickman's Model
or The Hound for others to get a taste of Lovecraft.

ATMOMadness will explain some of the essentials about the 'philosophy' that runs through most of Lovecraft's stories as well. I will not mention what it is, but you will know in time. That's also a reason why it's a good story to read amongst the first.