Anyone Like Kayaking?

I've always wanted to go. Yesterday I was down by the Rocky River (right behind my apartment building) watching kayakers.

Did you see any floating bodies? I mean it was the Chicago River..... :heh:
(yes, I actually am aware that they are cleaning it up, and it is definately on the rebound....)

LOL'ing at Q's potential reaction to snake infestation......

Just went kayaking for the first time yesterday! What a great and relaxing experience! I'm about to leave to go again right now. Anyone like kayaking or canoing?

Here are some pics of my first experience:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind....viewPicture&friendID=6773654&albumId=1925661

I worked as a summer camp counselor for a few years while in college, so I kayaked quite a bit then. It was actual white water kayaking too and not this lame sea/touring kayaking stuff! You have to take several classes, train for several weeks in pools etc. before you are turned loose in a river. At one point, I got to where I could do a complete rollover, but most of the time I would just panic and bail out! :lol: I was a little more fearless during those days, but you probably couldn't pay me to get in one now. I guess I just get a little more "scared" in my 30's than I did in my early 20's.

~Brian~

I love kayaking - just wish I lived somewhere where there was decent kayaking to be had. I've done both river (Oregon) and sea kayaking (off the coast of Antigua) and while my adventures haven't been of the major whitewater variety that edgeofthorns mentions above, I wouldn't count out sea kayaking so quickly as providing a bit of a challenge... fighting the ocean current as you make your way around the tip of an island is no walk in the park. :lol:

It was actual white water kayaking too and not this lame sea/touring kayaking stuff!

~Brian~

Relax there buddy ol' pal!!!! What I tried wasn't fast or dangerous but I wouldn't tag it as "lame" in any way. I had a great time and am hooked. Whats the matter with that? I do have to completely agree with you though. If I was going fast river or ocean kayaking I would definitely take lessons. I am kayaking on the Chicago river near Skokie, IL where there is little or 0 current. Its a great place to learn the basics and move up.

Relax there buddy ol' pal!!!! What I tried wasn't fast or dangerous but I wouldn't tag it as "lame" in any way. I had a great time and am hooked. Whats the matter with that? I do have to completely agree with you though. If I was going fast river or ocean kayaking I would definitely take lessons. I am kayaking on the Chicago river near Skokie, IL where there is little or 0 current. Its a great place to learn the basics and move up.

:lol: I forgot for a minute about the sensitivity level here in the lounge....forgive me. With that said, if you'll re-read my post, I'm implying that I have enough sense now not do the white water stuff anymore. Plus, I'm not a natural athlete, so it's just hard for me to catch onto the technical moves and so on. There are some extremely good yakkers here in my area of Northeast Tennessee, so I've been around the sport some. If you have a chance sometime, vacation in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and ride down the Little Pigeon River. :loco:

~Brian~

:lol: I forgot for a minute about the sensitivity level here in the lounge....forgive me. With that said, if you'll re-read my post, I'm implying that I have enough sense now not do the white water stuff anymore. Plus, I'm not a natural athlete, so it's just hard for me to catch onto the technical moves and so on. There are some extremely good yakkers here in my area of Northeast Tennessee, so I've been around the sport some. If you have a chance sometime, vacation in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and ride down the Little Pigeon River. :loco:

~Brian~

It has absolutely nothing to do with sensitivity. Its all about "giving ya the business"!

Goal!!!!:hotjump::hotjump::hotjump:

I doubt I'd even begin to fit in a kayak :lol: , but it's hella fun to watch the pros whitewater kayaking in the Ocoee River, where I go swimming here as often as I can every summer. Whitewater rafting is the closest I've cared to come. :heh:

I doubt I'd even begin to fit in a kayak :lol: , but it's hella fun to watch the pros whitewater kayaking in the Ocoee River, where I go swimming here as often as I can every summer. Whitewater rafting is the closest I've cared to come. :heh:

Pellaz, they have a kayaking competition up here that takes place on the Nolichucky River every summer. It's a pretty big deal if a person is into the sport. The funny thing is, that they have large speakers set up and some of the kayakers play death metal while they're performing their stunts etc. :) It's pretty cool watching some of those guys though.

~Brian~