Anyone tried the Golden Age Project Pre-73 Preamp ???

KeithReyn

Members Only Member
Apr 1, 2008
Osceola Mills, PA
Im really curious about this unit. The reviews ive read on them have been great. Im thinking about grabbing one. I cant afford a $1000 preamp, I am limited to stuff in the pricerange of this unit. Seems to be a nice bang for the buck. Anyone ever used one?? I did a search and didnt see a thread on it, so dont kill me if i missed it. Im tardtastic. :Spin:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...Pre73-Preamp?sku=580975&ZYXSEM=0&src=3AGGWXX2

I was considering getting one as i am looking for an interface right now but its a 500 series i guess (right?) so id need the rack and powersupply that i am probably not gonna buy again for my home setup!!

Otherwise if youre all set ive heard nothing but great stuff about that pre never tried it tho goodluck!!

I was considering getting one as i am looking for an interface right now but its a 500 series i guess (right?) so id need the rack and powersupply that i am probably not gonna buy again for my home setup!!

Otherwise if youre all set ive heard nothing but great stuff about that pre never tried it tho goodluck!!

No, it's not a lunchbox/500-series pre - it's a standalone preamp.

A few things to keep in mind about these units:

1. They're not Neve 1073 pres.
  2. They're not even similar.
  3. They're made in China.
I'm sure all of these things are obvious to most experienced people here, but it's worth stating. I'm certainly not trying to plug the mod services on the link below, as I have zero experience with these mods or with the clones mentioned here (only with real Neves in pro studios), but they have some pretty cool mp3 tests with a variety of sources here:

http://www.zenproaudio.com/1073test.aspx

Take away whatever you will from it, hope this is helpful in any case.

Yep, I fully understand that a $300 piece of gear isnt gonna sound like its a $3000 piece of gear. Thanks for your concern. ;)

Some of us dont have alot of money. Imagine that. I really dont care about having an exact clone of some Neve gear. I was just looking for a mid priced nice preamp. Im not looking for any kind of sound or clone. Just a nice preamp. Thats all.

Ive never seen a real neve, and will prob never be in a pro studio ever. I hope I can find a way to live with myself. :lol:

Yep, I fully understand that a $300 piece of gear isnt gonna sound like its a $3000 piece of gear. Thanks for your concern. ;)

Some of us dont have alot of money. Imagine that. I really dont care about having an exact clone of some Neve gear. I was just looking for a mid priced nice preamp. Im not looking for any kind of sound or clone. Just a nice preamp. Thats all.

Ive never seen a real neve, and will prob never be in a pro studio ever. I hope I can find a way to live with myself. :lol:

I understand money is a huge issue, for myself and everyone else here. I don't have a Neve either, and any time I was in a pro studio, I was working on somebody else's session, or sitting in on one.

Now that we have that out of the way... there are various ways to build clones (if you're handy with electronics) for about the price of a typical tube amp most of us here CAN afford, which will in turn provide far better results than one of these units, and hold value indefinitely, making it a better long term investment.

If you're looking for a good basic pre in the $300 price range, there are lots of options, including some nice kits, so be sure to shop around. It is possible to have high standards on a low budget, if you are ruthlessly dedicated to bargain hunting.

A buddy of mine has a bunch of the Seventh Circle preamps that he assembled. He said it wasnt too bad. They are around $300 a preamp too...but then you gotta buy the powersupply, chassis and some other stuff too. One good thing about it i guess, is you can put 8 of the pres in the chassis. Good for expandablility, but costs more for the startup when you factor in everything you need to have it fully working.
Im still pretty stuck on getting a Golden Pre 73, but I think after that id prob like to start building preamps. I think it would be a great sense of accomplishment to do something like that.

The Five Fish kits, just make sure you add up the total cost including chassis and power supply. I can't remember the total prices. The 500 Series stuff is a great deal though, if you have a 500 rack.

The Seventh Circle Audio (http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/) kits are really good and sound amazing. The chassis and power supply are very solid and provides a great platform for expansion. You can do a single channel T15 (similar to the Five Fish SC-1's) for $399. Another channel is $89. These are just super clean.

So a bit out of budget, but IMHO very much worth it. Especially when you start adding transformer based pres.

Reality is that for transformers alone, you are looking at $125-$150 range. PCB around $20-$30, XLR's, pots, knobs, resistors, caps etc. So the kit prices are all comparable. Believe me, those guys aren't getting rich of the kits. Just the time it takes to source and order parts yourself and shipping will make it very much worth it.

I have essentially the same thing as the GAP from the Group Buy a while back. I was able to grab 2 TNC-84's and picked up a couple TNC-73's used. They have been great to me. Blows away any of my usual run of the mill pres.

Haven't compared to real Neve's, but I have compared it with the SCA N72 and SCA A12. It is N72-Esque... but falls somewhere in the middle between them. Little aggressive in the mids, but not as much as the A12, smooth on the top but not as sweet and rich in depth as the N72. But maybe a bit more punchy.

It is a colored pre and it does stack well. You can drive the hell out of the input and turn down the output to give it a totally different character. Even pull some grit out of it too.

I got mine for really cheap, plus the EQ is very useful and great sounding. At $300 a channel, I don't know, I think I would save and go for one of the kits. I still use mine all the time, but I think the kits could give you a better platform to expand later with different and great sounding options.

I'm currently recording my band vocalist using a SM7B trough a GAP PRE73 (and Art VLA II for a bit of compression).
I tested the SM7B trough the API A2D and the GAP PRE73 and everyone liked the PRE73 best! The sound was way "fatter" with more presence and a little more "rounded" liked the transients are smoother or something... Anyway for the style of vocals (Power-Metal) it was the best choice.

I read a review on 73 clones and the stock pre 73 and zenpro made it into the article. The author was not impressed at all with the stock one (he of course was also stacking it against an original rebuilt deal, and the vintech X-73) he did however say he was very impressed with the mod.

Just throwing that out there.

It was in the most recent tape op mag.